Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Krylon Rust Tough Primer: Opinions Wanted

Has anyone ever used Krylon Rust Tough Primer on there subarus or other cars? Is it recommended? My plan is to remove as much of the rust as possible with a hand sander, then apply some rust converter on the rest, and finally use the Krylon Rust Tough Primer to keep the exposed metal from growing more rust. I was told that primers will not seal the metal like paint does and so moisture will still get through the primer to the metal to cause more rust. So it is important to paint the primed areas. But my plan is to not paint the primed areas because I can care less about looks at this point, and use this Rust Tough Primer as the topcoat. Will it keep the moisture away from the metal and keep rust from coming back?

If I'm not mistaken primer is not a sealer. If you just use primer the rust will come right back because its not sealed:confused:

You have to top coat the primer to seal the surface. Even after that you should use several coats to insure the top coat is really sealed.

Bedline or undercoat the whole thing?:eek:

Good luck,

Glenn,

82 Summer, up and running....

01 Forester, always running.....

I agree that primer is not a sealer, but the Krylon Rust Tough seems to be different from regular primer. It claims that you can prime over metal or rust and it will stop the rust from coming back.

Heres a quote from the spray bottle: "Krylon Rust Tough Zinc Rich Primer covers existing rust and stops the formation of future rust. Use Rust Tough Zinc Rish Primer to fill chips and nicks, cover rust, smooth surfaces and improve appearance of topcoat."

So does this stuff really work? I might add a couple of coats of paint down the road, but just not any time soon. Maybe some day when scrap enough money together to have the whole car painted.

BTW, I have used POR-15 before and its good stuff, but I perfer to use it in hidden locations such as battery trays and under the car.

Alright, I just went out and bought a quart of paint. I just wanted to make sure the rust doesn't come back. I thought the rust proof primer looked like a cheaper better solution, but I'll stick with the safe side and put a couple coats of paint over it too.