Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where is the fuel pump on a 1986 Brat?

Hi, I do not have my repair manuals with me.

1.) Can someone tell me where the fuel pump, fuel filters (2) fuel relay switch are located?

Is anything inside the gas tank?

I just bought a new tank and have yet to install it. I want to put in new components. Any tips or suggestions are ALWAYS more than welcomed.

2.)My fuel gauge does not work. Where do I start on troubleshooting it?

3.) There is a push in toogle switch that has a light on the pointed tip. It lights up when you push it in with the headlights on. Could this be for the aftermarket (?) fog lights mounted below the bumper? They may have burned out bulbs since they do not work. The switch is located in the bottom left of the dash panel under the fuel gauge to the left of the steering coloum.

4.) Also the headlights do not come on unless the key is in the ignition and turned to the on position. Is this normal?

I thank you,

Mike

The fuel pump should be under the drivers side of the car, between the end of the door and the rear tire. It will be on the topside of a plate with an inline filter right after it. You should be able to hear it "bobble" almost at your tailbone upon startup.

The second filter it under the hood near the fire wall on the drivers side. it has a vent line out the top also. so it looks like a 3-pronged filter. its technically called a "vapor separator". Im not sure about the relay switch.

To my knowledge the only thing in the tank is the Sending unit.(runs your fuel gauge). My gauge didnt work when I got my Brat and all I did was clean the connection on the back of the tank.

Your lighted switch you speak of sounds like a passing lamp switch(center headlight).I though it came on 1980-82 models only but may have been retrofited. By the way Pictures are worth more then 1000 words on this forum.

It is perfectly normal for your headlights to power up only with the the key on. this prevents you killing your battery if you accidently were to leave them on with the car off. Its not possible.

Hope I helped

Pictures!!