Ultimate Subaru Message Board

playing with my vanagon westy

T'subaru

EJ20g in the westy for sure. Nothing like having a van known for being slow with a turbo. I like sleepers like that.

EJ22 is plenty to make a wagon fun, the heavier van with much worse aerodynamics needs the extra power.

Was your westy watercooled or are you converting it? You may be able to use the air ducts with a small fan for the intercooler.

I would be converting it. Its an aircooled '82 my.

I also have the waic set up that subaru used with the ej20g, it has its own radiator and 2 speed pump.

The g would be fun in the bus...I also have a great running er27 as well.

Edited by T'subaru

The SVX is about the best and most serviceable for the power. I have done it twice with the 3.3, twice with the EJ25SOHC, 5-8 times with the 2.2, and once with the Ej22 closed deck turbo engine and standalone.

My favorite is the SVX, followed by the EJ25 SOHC. Both are plenty of power, sound awesome, and have a strong following by providers of conversion parts.

There are all kinds of Stainless cooling lines and such you can install. Don't go the copper route like people used to do in years past. I did that and it was a disaster.

The wiring harness on any of them is the hardest part and you already knew that. The Smallcar.com SVX diagram is excellent. I have used it with the obd1 style now about 15 times.

Thats a lot of conversions!

Ive decidied to ej22 the bus. Im pretty disappointed with the "german engineering" on my aircooled. The harness is a birds nest from the factory. I was shocked when I pulled the cluster. If I can get around the booster and m/cyl id like to swap a full subi harness and instrument cluster, possibly hvac and controls too.

Thats a lot of conversions!

Ive decidied to ej22 the bus. Im pretty disappointed with the "german engineering" on my aircooled. The harness is a birds nest from the factory. I was shocked when I pulled the cluster. If I can get around the booster and m/cyl id like to swap a full subi harness and instrument cluster' date=' possibly hvac and controls too.[/quote']

This would be an awesome conversion - I'm sure you'll take your time and do it right too!

Cheers

Bennie