Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Kit Comparisons

Taking my engine out today...finally

Going crazy looking at the price variations of clutch kits on Ebay...

An Exedy Kit #15001 = $103

An Exedy Kit #15008 =$219

What're the real differences..one fits more models?...better components?

The variations are many...can find kits at $80 and under

NAPA will get me one for $184.00

Want to order something today..along with timing belts, oil seals, water pump..NAPA says can give a package deal if I have AAA...don't have..

edit:

while I'm at it, just noticed timing belt kits that include the water pump for $100

NAPA says my Belts will be $298 w/o pump ($41)

goin crazy here..

as you can see I've let the research go till the last minute..but hey,

Thanks for any help

Edited by Rick James

Many thanks Rugby,

I didn't consider 4 wheel vs 2 wheel..you may have saved me.

The pics of 15008 sure looks more like what I have, which is 4WD.

A side note question,,why are the clutch components different (4 wd vs 2 wd)? Aren't both versions front wheel drive if not in 4wd...what extra does the clutch have to do for 4wd vs 2wd....this may be a dumb question

A side note question,,why are the clutch components different (4 wd vs 2 wd)? Aren't both versions front wheel drive if not in 4wd...what extra does the clutch have to do for 4wd vs 2wd....this may be a dumb question

Yes it's a dumb question. But as with most of those around here - you aren't the first to ask it and likely not the last.

It has nothing to do with 2wd vs. 4wd.

Rather it's because the development of the 2WD transmissions for the EA platform stopped after about 1982. Thus all the 2WD EA82 transmissions are just repurposed EA81 transmissions and thus use the EA81 clutch setup (well - the 200mm variant of it anyway - not the 225mm 83+ 4WD variant).

So it's actually an EA81 vs. EA82 thing. What you are seeing is a price for a 2WD EA81 clutch vs. a much larger and more expensive EA82 4WD clutch. They are 100% incompatible.

I would push the car before I would install a NAPA clutch. Especially for that little of a price difference. NAPA parts for anything other than a domestic car are generally garbage. One of the last places I shop.

GD

15001 is ONLY for 2WD applications. You cannot use it.

You need the 15008.

Or, if you can find one - get the 15009. That's the XT6 kit. Fit is the same but the XT6 kit has better grip.

GD

Everyone is having issues finding it...

Maybe they are finding a solution here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=132719

Thanks GD...

Thanks Rugby for waking me up.

Thanks kayoteq for..i dunno ...but you tried

The Amazon fitness chart and their fitness verification, at least for this 93 Loyale, is wrong when using their format (which is not processing4WD vs 2WD issue I suppose)...they tell me the 15008 will NOT fit my vehicle and they try to ram a 15001 at me....but based on the pics matching my worn out (over 100,000 miles) clutch and GD's confirmation am feeling good about not being another "that guy"..

Will be back...

thanks again

I'm back..Well, I'll prob end up being "that guy" somewhere along in this operation...

GD, if you're still around..this company also doesn't recognize the the 93 Loyale as a fit for the 15008...I trust your judgement and experience..but why are these company's leaving the 93 Loyale out of the picture?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exedy-OEM-Clutch-Kit-Subaru-Baja-86-89-H4-1-8L?item=310224766539&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms

My disc is 225mm and everything else matches the 15008....and yet they leave the 93 Loyale off the list.

I guess I'm a little gun shy with all the horror stories...but wanna pull the trigger..

still going crazy here and prob for no reason..right??

They are stupid sometimes... Brakes for a 92 Loyale dont fit my 86 GL yet its the same thing.

If the part number is what GD recommends, do it.

We put a 225mm clutch for EA82 on my EA71 (with EA81 swapped in) with no issues, in GDs shop... he knows his stuff

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered a timing belt kit from this ebay site:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230786479323?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1624wt_931

they were within the 200 mile radius, that's the only reason..they weren't the cheapest..

The box arrives with the two belts, two tensioners, no idler sprocket...there's an empty spot in the custom made foam packing.

I send an email...get a response stating:

"The sprocket is not in any of our inventory items

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, please do not hesitate to give us a call 1-888-501-6588 or e-mail us at sales@carpartkings.com.

Have a great day!"

I call and the guy says no box they have includes the sprocket..he's clueless as to why, says he's not familiar with the package at all, states he's never sold one...

Needless to say a case is being opened at Ebay since I paid for the advertised package.

Someone tell me about this sprocket...obviously it should be replaced when doing the belts?

post-11456-136027655828_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...