Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Metal heater pipe worn thru on 88 leone

Howdy guys

I have just noticed my leone is leaking water, quick pop of the bonnet reveals there is water spraying out from a metal Y join on the heater pipe (just behind carby). As it is dark outside, im wondering if this part is easily removable for repairs, i have tried searching for pics and info online as i expeted this to be a common problem, has this happened to you before and how did you fix it?

thanks in advance

4621151702a12971235484l.jpg

The pipe on mine has a wee 90 deg bend with another pipe coming out, and the corner of this pipe has rusted away.

its connected to a hose at the end i can see, im wondering if its attached by hose or if its pressed into the block, sorta the reason why i posted up here, hoping someone will know..(of couse they will!!!)

:)

Edited by stealth

Alrighty so i stripped it back a bit and the rubber hose comes from the carby, as the rusted hose going from the heater pipe still has a wee bit left on it i thouhgt if i take the hose off and replace it with a little bit longer one i will be ok, so i took it off the carby end and what do you know it is completely rusted thro with nothing able to be attached! Damn it!

So a few questions i have:

Can I bypass the carby?

And what kind of affect will it have?

I Don't understand the Situation very well, but here goes some Ideas:

If it is the Metal Pipe that is Rusted, you can Weld it with Bronze, I did that on my EA82 intake Manyfold's metal pipe, when I did the Weber Swap, but I did that to Close the Water Passage for the Carburetor, because Weber's Don't need it.

However, you might be Able to Swap that Pipe with a better one, if is the one Going to the Intake Manyfold.

If it is the Small Pipe on the Intake, for the Carburetor, you can Weld it with Aluminium...

You can See Pictures of both Weldings, here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74206

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
mispelled word, fixed

Cheers Loyale 2.7 Turbo, your pics made it very easy for me to see whats happening under all the carby and pipework, but basically the metal water pipe that comes from the intake manifold (to the heater pipe) has completely rusted away, and most of the pipe where it joins the heater is also rusted away, altho i think i can get a hose on to the heater end.

The main reason i want to bypass the waterjacket in the manifold is because im lazy, I have talked to others about this and it may cause problems with the auto choke?

Can you think of any other issues i may have?

thanks

Your Carbureted EA82 Engine must have an Electric Choke, so there must not be a Problem with That... the Problem is with the Water Circulation Design, if you Block it, there "could" be some Cooling system issues somehow but could still work...

I Bypassed the Heather Core (Not Needed here, in the Caribbean Tropics) Using a "U-Turn" 5/8 Hose... by that way, I Keep the optimum Water Circulation on the Coolin' System.

I Kindly suggest you to Remove the intake Manyfold and take it to a Proffesional Welder to cut the Rusted metal Pipe (it can be Removed from the intake) and put there a New one or Adapt another with the Same 5/8" Measurement.

Use Brand New Original Subaru intake Gaskets.

Kind Regards.

ok so today i started removing the intake manifold, after thinking twice, (before seeing your post) but am struggling to get the AC unit out of the road, there must be some secret bolt, can anyone please advise?

Im also thinking of getting rid of the AC unit, is it just a simple case of removing the unit, leaving the bracket for the alternator, and sourcing a shorter belt, or more involved?

thanks

there is a secret bolt. there is one 12mm bolt under the alternator. there is a 14mm bolt on the front of the block, and another 14mm hexagonal 'nugget' that you just loosen asn it acts as a rest pin.

please watch this video for the easy way to remove this as a whole assembly. @5:45

here is the same procedure but going back together, showing better detail of the mounting points. @1:25

Edited by MilesFox