Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 dash clock ipod upgrade! Now with pics!!!!

I was playing around with the hole where the clock goes, first i tried taking my gps apart and mounting it in the hole(would've too if wasnt for those damn metaling kids...or was it the fragile circut ribbon.. Anyways.

I discoverd my ipod touch fits in the hole PERFECTLY. So i plan on

Modifying the dash a little so i can plug it into my stereo when its inplace.

And i think an iphone will fit too..

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone, but it should be pretty cool. And with an iphone you would have sat nav and internet.. And angry birds!

Now i just need to figure out a way to take a picture of the ipod inplace, with the ipod..

Edited by AKghandi

The clock in my GL works fine... I should probably take it apart and do something to it before it dies... But if it does, i'll just put a LCD in there and make my own display.

I think I still have some serial LCD boards laying around somewhere...

Yeah my clock works intermttently i resolderd it but it didnt make a difference..

So i downloaded a clock app and im going to wire t up to a charger and an fm transmitter.. Problem solved. ill post a pic of it when im done.

done.

ask and ye shall receive!

i got a pic of the wires and how i routed them i used a knife to seperate the vinyl from the foam

img0194bj.jpg

and what it looks like in place

0000056f.jpg

0000059k.jpg

the fm transmitter is hidden next to the door chime and it has a usb port so its charging and transmitting!

i love how clean it looks. like it was meant to be there. im going to take a fillet knife and shave some of the foam on the inside down,so theres not a bulge there.

and another thought. those of you with the obdII swapped gl's could use a portable diagnostic that works with an ipod.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/car/e915/#tabs

Edited by AKghandi
linky link

so far i love it! all i need now is a "myfi" so i can use it as a gps

i have all my music and when im near wifi i can surf this site

the sound quality isnt that great but its the stock stereo+speakers

and the fm transmitter has a very high pitch whine. but i think thats normal. its not that bad, its like that mosquito ringtone.

and just out of curiosity would it be possible to wire my stock stereo to a bazooka tube? im going to do it anyways but if someone has done it before that would be helpful..the common ground concerns me..

and no im not getting rid of my stock stereo. i like it, all the buttons and knobs are there, the speakers arent blown and it sounds pretty decent.

plus i dont have to worry about someone stealing my stereo again..

That's pretty nifty! I like it. This would be better suited for jailbroken itouch/iphones though as if memory serves me correctly, you can only view the spring-board in it's vertical orientation and not horizontally.

Don't remember too well what it's like using the music player, however I'm sure that if it's jailbroken you can just go ahead and get another music player loaded on there if it's bothersome enough.

How easy is it to wedge it in there and get it out?

Might just do this...

I'd be able to set the itouch up with an app to throw a clock on the screen when idle for a minute or so too! That'd be sweet.

Great idea!

You win best idea for that clock hole yet! Love the OBDII thingy. I miss my Android and will probably trade in the Iphone for one this summer, I wonder if the 'Droid will fit...similar concept, just requires mini-USB instead of big honking Iphone connector. Phone size should be similar/same.

Yeah the ipod pops in and out quite easily

The music player annoys me, i cant change the song while its horizontal

But if its locked and i press the home button 2 times i get the music controls.

And i plan on getting a clock app once i get home.

Im not sure if a droid will fit but the iphone should.

So i went ahead and adjusted my dash to make it "look betterer".......and i FUBAR'D it pretty badly.. Looks like crap now.:horse:

a few teasers:

1001935.jpg

i put a piece of wire in there to try to reinforce it.. didnt work.

1001910r.jpg

But! I have another dash pad from my parts car soooo

I pulled it and modified it properly and now its going to go into my car.

1001917y.jpg

And while i was doing this i took ALOT of pictures so be prepared!(grab a delicious beverage):drunk:

Im going to put my dash in and get more pics..then ill be back to steal your bandwidth!

Should i put this in a write up?.

Edited by AKghandi

ok! im done. and it looks like i thought it would

the back of the dash pad.1001918g.jpg

i melted a hole through the foam and the plastic then i cut some of the plastic on the back

1001920u.jpg

1001921w.jpg

i melted the hole a little bit with a screwdriver i heated up with a torch

1001923a.jpg

theres a thin metal reinforcement that i cut away, then i trimmed some of the plastic off and pulled a little foam out

1001926r.jpg

1001927w.jpg

1001928m.jpg

1001930r.jpg

how it used to look

1001934o.jpg

how it looks now

1001933d.jpg

removing the dash. really simple. lots of tight places but with the right tools its not to0 bad.

1001936y.jpg

dash pad off(i outlined where the screws go in red.srry its kinda hard to see)

10019401.jpg

all done!

1001943f.jpg

1001946l.jpg

now to figure out how to add these to my stock stereo...

1001944e.jpg

Edited by AKghandi

Brilliant idea! The one thing i have to say is about putting a iPhone in there. It would be possible but messing with it if you get a call would be difficult to get to. Also with the iPhone the head jack is on the top unlike the bottom which the touch is set up.

just my 0.02

Well you could have an aftermarket headunit that has an ipod cable built in or a bluetooth speaker phone.

Although i can see your point about the headphone jack. It would be hard to fit it onto the dash with things out both sides. I bet a iphone 3gs would work.

BuT i dont have an iphone so i dont know.(i went to buy one and they wanted 600$ from me:eek: and that was just for the service)

That being said dont let my results make you think thats the only possibility theres a ton of options for all manner of things, like my crappy slide phone fits in there almost tight enough to be usable.

Edited by AKghandi

Looks great with the digi clock on there haha. think I'm sold on this idea.

Good luck getting that amp and sub hooked up to your stock head-unit. I commend that idea as well. The stock radio is just too charming lol.