Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, again. I'm currently Soob-less, but a friend's daughter was given a '96 Legacy 4-dr auto, complete with CEL lit up, and since I have a scan tool I went over and had a look. I'm not familiar with EJ-22's, (just EA81-82) so I don't know where to look for the knock sensor (P0325), MAP or MAF sensor (P0106), nor whether or not to worry about the Soob-specific P1400 code. Car drives well, no rust!!! no bad noises, usual oily bottom, good trans and brakes. Seems to have been serviced regularly, including a 100,000 KM service that the prev. owner said was over 2 grand so I expect the TB/WP was probably part of that. (I erased/reset the codes.) Car now has 230,000 KMs. I would appreciate your comments on the codes and locations of the 2 sensors as well. :)

Thanks

You got some fun ones!

Knock sensor 101 : http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120610

P0106 MAP Sensor Range/Performance

Generally a loose vacuum hose. The MAP sensor is on the passenger strut tower. Little black square with a wire connector sticking off of it. A solenoid right next to it. Two or three hoses there depending on which evap emissions setup the car has.

P1400 Fuel Tank Pressure Control Solenoid Circuit Low Input

The tank pressure control solenoid is between the fuel tank and the passenger frame rail towards the front of the tank. Space is tight, but with some luck you can at least see if the wiring is damaged. More than likely if the car is rusty underneath there is corrosion inside the connector.

Great! Thank you for the Knock sensor 101 thread - covered all the possibilities, I think. As for the other 2 codes (P0106 and P1400), from your remarks, I believe it's prob. a connection issue. Saw and reworked a few of those in my 92 Loyale. Basically a free fix.

Since the car was "free" and we have no emissions test here in the BC Southern Interior (yet), I think she's good to go until I get back over there and do the work.

I got prices around $100!!!!! for the knock sensor! Beck Arnley (BIG1580975)@ $96, or Borg-Warner (BWE-S8617) @ $116. I do get a decent discount from the local parts store but the part will still run around $55 or more. Is this out of line? (A sensor isn't the kind of item I'd buy used)

Thanks again! Even with the ten bucks for shipping to Canada it's still way less than the local store.