Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trans Mission

I have a 1993 Loyale with EA82 and 5s MT.

I successfully replaced the main input shaft seal to the tranny recently thanks to the posts found here, but after I was done I noticed the speedo didn't work. I tested the speedo shaft for turning prior to assembly so I don't know what happened. I reattached the cable to make sure it was slotted into the speed shaft but it still failed. The speedo shaft in the tranny appears to have dropped about 1cm from its prior location so I'm thinking it isn't meshing with the driver gear. :(

Without the speedo working, the odometer doesn't work and the Check Engine light stays on (code 33). :(

Anybody know how to lift up the shaft from the outside or correct this without dismantling the tranny again? (ugh).

If I leave this alone, how is the fuel mix affected?

The dash end is secured by a clip.

It's the tranny end that's not turning.

I elevated the front wheels, put a stick into the speedo shaft, put it into gear and the stick didn't turn. That verified that the trans speedo shaft isn't turning. I believe it got disengaged from the drive gear during assembly.

Any hope?

Or do I have to dismantle the tranny again?