Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 97 Subaru 2.2 with a rebuilt engine with around 100,000 miles on it. It seems the gas mileage has gotten worse so I checked it and it is getting around 23 avg. city and highway.

Does anyone here know what their 2.2 engine are getting on avg.

Gas mileage of about 23 is close to what you should be getting in a 50/50 mix of driving. I'd call that regular mileage in any of the 2.2's Iv'e owned, maybe 27 to 29 on strictly highway driving.

I always get 2-3 MPG more than either my daughter or wife in any car we've ever owned just because of different driving habits.

When you say it's gotten worse, what were you getting?

It was used on a postal Rt. until I retired in 2010. It has mostly just been sitting until I parked my truck and started driving it again to try and save some money on gas. On the stop an go driving of the Rt. I was getting about 23 M.P.G. now it is getting about the same mileage on the Highway and city as it was on the Rt. I was hoping it would be better.

It does have a slight miss in engine right now so that may well be the problem.

It was used on a postal Rt. until I retired in 2010. It has mostly just been sitting until I parked my truck and started driving it again to try and save some money on gas. On the stop an go driving of the Rt. I was getting about 23 M.P.G. now it is getting about the same mileage on the Highway and city as it was on the Rt. I was hoping it would be better.

It does have a slight miss in engine right now so that may well be the problem.

A slight miss........?? Maybe new plugs and plug wires would correct the miss, and lift your gas millage.

A slight miss........?? Maybe new plugs and plug wires would correct the miss, and lift your gas millage.

+1

yea, its the simple things that make a huge difference. Plugs, wires and an air filter might be a good start for it.

-Justin

Thanks for the advice of plug wires and plugs, however I have already tried this, I have another post here about the miss along with what I have already tried.

If you have time to check the other post I would be thanksful for any more advice you might have. I have tried just about everything I can think of.

The plugs were N.G.K, and the wires were from dealer, no I have not replaced the P.C.V. I did take it out and it still rattles, I will get a new one when I get more parts. Air pressure is good and so is alignment.

Are you sure alignment is good? I can't tell and I work on cars every day.

I dont have any uneven wear on the tires, they all seem to be wearing even on both sides, and it is not pulling to either side.

I think the somewhat low gas mileage is related to the slight miss that's coming from something, as stated in my other thread there is no miss when getting down on the gas, it misses at a steady speed or very slow acceleration.

I dont have any uneven wear on the tires, they all seem to be wearing even on both sides, and it is not pulling to either side.

I think the somewhat low gas mileage is related to the slight miss that's coming from something, as stated in my other thread there is no miss when getting down on the gas, it misses at a steady speed or very slow acceleration.

Check fuel pressure in addition to making sure your NGK plugs are the correct ones. Coil might also be suspect.