Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback struts on 2005 Legacy?

Uncle Bingo

I have a 2005 Legacy & am looking for a little more clearance as well as better springs in the rear for towing a pop-up. I've decided on Kings Springs but I'm wondering if new KYB GR2's for the same year Outback would be a bolt on mod? I think the Outback struts are a bit taller? But have no desire to cut & weld. If I could just bolt them on along with the lift springs that would be swell. When I wear out these tires (205/55R16) I'll go to the Outback size (225/60R16) of that year. It's about an inch more ground clearance. It's primarily a family car but we do a lot of camping, fishing, hunting etc.. Unimproved roads are common & clearing a few more rocks would be good.

Well KYB was quick to answer. "There is a difference in the spring seat shape & angle. The struts are not interchangable." I gues my next question is, anybody out there using Kings Springs? Are you happy with them? Towing with a Legacy?

Well KYB was quick to answer. "There is a difference in the spring seat shape & angle. The struts are not interchangable." I gues my next question is, anybody out there using Kings Springs? Are you happy with them? Towing with a Legacy?

BS

They will work just fine.

You may want to get the subframe spacers with them or you will be running your CVs at a steeper angle.

You guys are good. I've lifted 4 Jeeps but never a Subaru. I can probably get them at work. A large salvage company. Florida to Canada. Can you tell me how many there are, what years I should get them from, & do they need to be modified or can they be bolted in? Sorry to be so pesky. I've got this idea in my head about how I want it to end up & I only want to do it once. Thanks for all the help.

Not exactly sure on what years, but I would assume any years that have the same body style as yours. The spacers are located between the front and rear crossmembers on both sides. I also believe the tranny crossmember is different as well, so you will need that if you want to do the full swap, along with the longer steering u joint. Which I know on the older models you needed to change the steering column and the u joint at the end, but the new models may be different.

Wow! Trying to lift the rear of this thing seems more complicated than any of my previous ventures. Paul Ecklund responded saying "Which Legacy? GT, Outback? What are you looking to do?

Cars RAISED with King Springs and/or our strut top spacers more than 1" generally need front camber bolts and either rear subframe spacers ($225) or the multilink rear poly camber bushing kit ($161)

Send details and wishes and an address and I will get a full quote out. Pe" I sent him my wishes & hope it will be a smooth transition. Anyone have any experience w/these items from Primitive?

I got the same reply from both Paul Ecklund & Anthony Vaughn. W/just the springs added on I should only need camber bolts & nothing else. A relief when you don't want to go overboard. Maybe that will help anyone doing somthing similar.