Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my 98 Outback has been down for a while now trying to get fixed. Replaced my steering rack after a few weeks of waiting for funds and then the car would not start. Replaced the alternator as previously mentioned in another post. Also replaced my battery and starter due to both being dead. Now the car cranks over twice and NOTHING more. Better than the nothing before. Mind you when it comes to electrical work I release the smoke from the wires so I don't play unless I have to. Went to replace my e-bay special grounding kit but do not remember what all grounds were originally on the car before. I have the ground from the battery going to the body but, is there any place else that I need to ground? One guy said my re-manned starter is no good and to replace it with yet another one :confused:.

Of course being in LA there are no Outbacks or anything to look at to compare and I really don't have the money to be dumping into this to guess what it could be. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated. I did have an FSM but my computer crashed and took it with it and the Chiltons/ Haynes are special order for Subarus in LA.

Edited by newsoobdude

There are plenty of links to the FSM around here. The electricalsection shows where all the grounds are connected.

If you replaced the starter there's a good chance you disconnected the starter motor ground. Look for a loose heavy gauge cable in the vecinity of the starter (just make sure it's the ground, not the positive (+) wire ). I think it's bolted to a bracket held in place by one of the starter motor's mounting bolts.

One IMPORTANT thing: the starter motor draws a HUGE current from the battery, and therefore needs heavy gauge wires. If the starter ground is disconnected the electricity will still find it's way, but will do so through smaller gauge wires, and if you are persistent you WILL smoke something. Do not try starting the car until you are sure the negative cable is connected.

Jarl, there was only two wires going to the starter, a heavy gauge from the positive side of the battery terminal and one smaller (12g?) that came from the firewall and had a spade connector end on it. Both OEM or quality replacement (think I replaced positive cable couple years back but not sure and not important). No other wires to or from the starter so you got me there..... Don't recall ever seeing a starter with 3 wires but it's been long while since I've changed out a starter and this 98 Outback is the newest car I've really worked on. Also don't have good access to a computer as my lap top top a dump on me again and I gotta get that fixed too :banghead:

Suba9792, OEM? And if do, what gauge should it be and where does it connect on the block?

1 Lucky Texan, unfortunately I don't have any good friends local nor are my neighbors able to help and I also pulled the starter out so I can replace it with the new one when it comes in on Thurs. :banghead: That and the alignment is all buggered up and loose as I'm getting it flat-bedded to the alignment shop once it runs again as it has a new rack under it now (one of the reasons it was down for so long was getting the funds and time to take care of that). Looks like it will have to wait til I get back from the ranch this weekend:(.

Jarl, there was only two wires going to the starter, a heavy gauge from the positive side of the battery terminal and one smaller (12g?) that came from the firewall and had a spade connector end on it

As a reference, what you are describing are the (+) cable -big cable that goes directly to the battery- and the wire that goes to the starter's solenoid (thin one). The later is just a relatively low amp signal from the starter switch (or the ECU) to energize the solenoid (the coil of what is otherwise just a big relay), which in turn switches on the power for the starter motor. So yes, you are missing the ground :)

Alright so I replaced the starter with yet another one from the 'Zone and ran the + Cable to the post and the solenoid wire (the only 2 wires that were connected since I know of [didn't remove a 3rd that I can recall and I haven't gotten all goobered up recently soo.....idk]) and ran a nice fat cable from the upper bolt to the battery and went to start it. Fired right up!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang: Went to go tighten the battery up and realized I forgot to hook the ground up soo, idk again, but, ran it to the battery anyways since it was long enough. It's off to the alignment shop via flatbed and I finally moved the steering wheel over a tooth to straighten it out :burnout:.