Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 96 Legacy L, Lifted!

Fairtax4me

I've had this lift kit for like a year and a half, maybe longer I can't remember, exactly. It has graced a storage closet with it's presence for quite some time, and it will finally get a chance to do some work. :banana: Of course that involves me doing all kinds of work, drilling out larger holes in some of the blocks, tracking down larger bolts for some of them. The front cross member bolts supplied with the kit were 3/8" x6". Looked like plain old hardware store grade 5 stuff. I went out and got 12mm 10.9 grade bolts to go in their place. Also had to get 14mm bolts for the transverse link bushings. The kit came with 12mm bolts there for some reason. The kit also came with blocks to lower the carrier bearing, and the bolts provided are too short by about 1/2". I think I'll just flip the carrier over instead of using the blocks there. Kit also came with a new pitch mount, which is about 3/4" too long. :lol: So I'm just going to elongate the elongated holes on the pitch mount bracket that bolts to the transmission.

Anyway, mostly this came about because I ran something over and cut a huge hole in a tire rendering it unusable. I had a set of Outback size tires sitting waiting, so figured I would get them mounted, dig the Outback struts out of the shed and swap them in and get the whole shebang done all at once. Should be something like 4" of lift overall, 2" blocks, inch from the Ob struts, and an inch from the tires.

A teaser pic, since I got the front done just before it started to get dark and decided to leave it at that. IMG_3046.jpg:D

Edited by Fairtax4me
Title change

IMG_0180.jpg

Update time! The lift is on! I have more pics but they're difficult to link to while on the mobile. Both rear struts and one of the fronts I had to persuade some sheet metal with my mini sledge so they would fit on, it was only an issue at full extension though. With the tires on the ground there is plenty of room.

More to come later, probably tomorrow.

Thanks man! I think it needs a Mudrat style bumper now and a big skid plate.

Had to dremel out a small section on the steering shaft so the u joint would fit properly. It had been fine and then I had to swap the steering rack trying to fix a problem thats still there. Fixed two other problems though. Then the u joint shaft was binding, figured out it was jamming up because the input shaft on the new rack was just a hair longer than the old one.

The bolts for the driveshaft lowering blocks were too short so I just flipped it over, now it's too low and it wobbles around all over the place. Gotta get some more bolts, try to fix that tomorrow. Then I can drag it up to the shop and get it aligned. :banana:

Edited by Fairtax4me

At the alignment shop now, hopefully it will go straight after they're done! It was pulling to the left a bit, which I think must have been camber related because I played with the toe a bunch and never could get rid of that.

I got some bolts and put the blocks on the driveshaft carrier and that fixed the shuddering on acceleration in low gears, but I still have some kind of wobble that feels like its coming from the back of the car. I think one of my wheels may be bent. I'll try putting the old wheels on it and see if it goes away, otherwise I'll be poking around at the axles trying to figure something out.

You must know a few things about the 3 series to pick out that one as an M. It's an 86 325 ES which, as I understand it, was the first year 3 to have an M package. A couple badges here and there are the only differences that I'm aware of. Belongs to a friend of mine. He got it from an old professor of his for free a few years ago. Drove it for a year or so, gave it to his sister who drove it for a year or so until it would no longer pass VA safety inspection. Now decided to fix it some and try to sell it. Its a sweet car. If I had the money to put into it I would buy it, but I would have no room to park it at the moment.

The LS was mine for ~4 years and I sold it last summer. Making payments on that thing was killing me. Sold it to Carmax to get out from under the loan. Loved that car though. Took a few great pictures of that car against a few back/foregrounds that I use for desktop wallpapers every now and then.

Small version of this one:

sunset2.jpg

I'm not real familiar with BMWs, but know a few of them ;) We had an '81 320i 3-spd Auto (Interesting car) Pure Germany lol.

The bumper fairing gave it away that its an M3 :)

The LS are nice cars, Probably the only Lincoln of that year I would buy. Some of the new ones are cool too. Smooth power.

And that picture is awesome! I love Photography, angles, lighting, ect.

I need to get out and do some more photography. Haven't done anything really creative in the last 6 months or so. Here's a few more pics of the LS. I know some people like to play with photoshop and camera settings to get certain effects, but i'll move the car around and try to use natural lighting for the most part to get the reflections and lighting effects that I want without playing around with camera settings too much.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/clean%20LS%20pics/3220910.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/clean%20LS%20pics/hiding2.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/clean%20LS%20pics/freshwax2.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/clean%20LS%20pics/lensbg.jpg

And the large version of the sunset pic. http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/clean%20LS%20pics/Untitled-8-1.jpg

Found out my wobble and shake at 70 is probably a broken belt in one of the tires. :( Close inspection shows the tread depth in one section of the tire is much lower than the rest. It was either driven while WAY out of balance for a long time or a belt popped loose and it was driven on for a long time and wore the tread out in that area.

Hoping I can find a used one to match, although the tread depth is close to new spec, so if worst comes to worst I think I can buy 2 new ones, mount them, ditch the cruddy one and keep the oddball used one as a spare. Don't really want to spend the money on that though.

I need to get out and do some more photography. Haven't done anything really creative in the last 6 months or so. Here's a few more pics of the LS. I know some people like to play with photoshop and camera settings to get certain effects, but i'll move the car around and try to use natural lighting for the most part to get the reflections and lighting effects that I want without playing around with camera settings too much.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/clean%20LS%20pics/3220910.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/clean%20LS%20pics/hiding2.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/clean%20LS%20pics/freshwax2.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/clean%20LS%20pics/lensbg.jpg

And the large version of the sunset pic. http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/clean%20LS%20pics/Untitled-8-1.jpg

Found out my wobble and shake at 70 is probably a broken belt in one of the tires. :( Close inspection shows the tread depth in one section of the tire is much lower than the rest. It was either driven while WAY out of balance for a long time or a belt popped loose and it was driven on for a long time and wore the tread out in that area.

Hoping I can find a used one to match, although the tread depth is close to new spec, so if worst comes to worst I think I can buy 2 new ones, mount them, ditch the cruddy one and keep the oddball used one as a spare. Don't really want to spend the money on that though.

That is 100% what I try to do as well, I don't have any photoshop programs, and my Fuji S5700 camera doesn't hold a lot for settings other then Full Manual mode (Shutter speed, Aperture, and something else) I try to take the clearest images I can, with the most depth and color, reflection, and what I am seeing to project the right emotion. I've gotten better over the years for what I am working with.

Now, not to make this a Photo class thread ;)

That sucks about the Tire, What tires are they? Discount tire might have them and for cheap if you want two replacements. Or keep an eye on craigslist for 4 matching tires.

Pacemark Snowtrakker. I think they sold them under the Kelly SnowTrakker name as well. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09585823000P

I see them on CL pretty often actually, just have to get lucky enough to find some in the same size. Sears carries them, and appears the 205/70/15 size I would need is about $100 per. There are quite a few used tire places on the other side of the mountain (30 minute drive) that I think I'm likely to find something at. Otherwise i Might be shopping CL for a while looking for a pair this size.

I'm just gonna ride the tire for now. Shakes a little but not too bad really until I get to about 70. I hardly drive this car that fast anyway. Usually I prefer to 55 it on the back roads getting 30+ mpg rather than ~27 on the interstate.

Had to take it back to the alignment shop today because it was still pulling to the left some after they worked on it. They rechecked and readjusted it free of charge now it goes about as straight as it can. Still wanders a bit which it did before I did anything to it so it's just like it's ol' seff agin, only about 4" taller.

And the guys at the alignment shop got a kick out of seeing a Subaru with a lift kit. :banana:

Today's upgrades: driving lights, and window visors!

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_5528.jpg

I actually like the visors, mostly because they don't block the view out the window. I had them on my LS and the area they blocked was HUGE. Couldn't see a thing through them either. These for the most part are higher up than the window seals, so I only get a small glimpse of the visor on the drivers side. On the passenger side I can't see it at all. Dunno how well they'll work for keeping the rain out, but they do cut wind noise and turbulence when the windows are just slightly open.

I swear I still have other pics of the lift I just haven't uploaded them yet!

Thanks man!

I got lucky and bought the visors from a member here who was selling them. Brand new still in the Subaru box, just missing two of the four tabs that mount on the underside. I figured they would work with just one tab on each side, since they stick on with double sided tape anyway. I looked for months for a set for my wagon with never any luck. I do have the part numbers for wagon and sedan (legacy) visors now though.

Yeah I have to put some yellow fog on the driving lights so they match the headlights! :lol:

IMG_3779.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

At the rocker panels, the back sits about 1/2" lower than the front when I have all my tools and crap in the trunk.

Not a huge deal, I don't always carry 120lbs of tools around. Usually just a socket set and some wrenches and screwdrivers. And I think If I take the 70lb sub box and amp out of the trunk it will probably sit a little more level too. I'm still undecided, but the longer I listen to these nice new Alpine component speakers without the sub going the less I miss the extra bass. 60 watts going to each door and 25 each to a set of full ranges in the rear deck, makes for a pretty kicking system without a sub. Amazing how wide the range is on those Alpines.

Anyway. Some lift blocks.

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_7901.jpg

IMG_7871.jpg

I need to break out the black spray paint on some of these. You can see the outrigger blocks under the rockers in the back. also need to get the bolts painted/undercoated so they won't rust to hell.

Add another thing to the list of near future repairs. IMG_8746.jpg

Not lookin too hot.

Neither is this rear cat flange

IMG_8551.jpg

Blurry pic doesn't do it justice. I think it would break if I looked at it wrong. :lol:

Some of these pictures are more huger than others, I re-sized them in PB, but it always takes a while for the links to update for some reason. ;)

• 1 year later...

Update!

The current status of my lifted Soob : Dirty!

1371230184.jpg

Its now running 4.11 gears and doing well except for the rickety exhaust pipes.

The muffler finally broke at the seam for the inlet pipe, so it makes some rattly noises but its surprisingly quiet otherwise.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hard to believe its been three years. Time for an update!

King me! IMG_2599.jpg

Finally got the Kings put on with new KYBs. Its 1-3/4" taller in the back, 1-1/2" taller in the front than previously. I expect some of that will settle out after a few weeks.

The ride is a bit bouncy for now, but otherwise not as rough as I thought it would be.

Right front axle is clicking though. Gonna see if it gets better/worse over the course of a few weeks. If it gets worse I have another green cup axle ready to pop in.

IMG_2598.jpg

The back actually sits a little lower than I was hoping for. I wanted to see the back end about 1/2- 3/4" higher. Stacking blocks is illegal here, even though technically ALL lift blocks are illegal, and no inspector would ever actually see them, I don't like the idea of a strut spacer on top of a spacer, so I'm not sure what ill do about that for now. I can weld some new blocks together but they're such a bitch to change I don't know that its worth the hassle for right now. Just gonna wait and see how it settles out.

Next up is gonna be new tires and possibly wheels. Still flopping between Bassett racing DOT wheels or throwing on the 16" WRX wheels I have.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1

Yeah my Kings were a bit jiggly at first but they've softened up over the 5000km I've done on them. Lift blocks are illegal here too which is why I went with a Forester to start with (plus NZDM dual-range). My Foz's tail sits a bit lower than I'd like when it's laden too, I think a 1" saggy butt spacer would sort it (but that's illegal, of course).

• 2 weeks later...

Wish we had dual range EJ cars over here. Would have snagged up one a long time ago for this car.

Springs have become less bouncy. I've put maybe 1,000 miles on them and they've softened up pretty well. Still a little rough on gravel but that may be a combination of springs and struts and the new poly front control arm bushings.

The clicky axle didn't ever really get better/worse but I determined that it was the source of a vibration I had when decelerating. Swapped it out with another axle which had previously been on the car for several months with a ripped inner boot. Rebooted, stuck it on there, no more clicks or vibration!

Need to get some new camber bolts for the front because the stock bolts don't have enough adjustment. Also gonna try to get adjustable lateral arms for the back because the camber is just on the limit and there isn't much room between the strut and the tire.

• 7 months later...

An update! And it's not three years later this time!

Need to align it but its sitting where it should be now!

High up on 215/65/16 Grabber AT2s and WRX wheels!

image_1.jpg

Mounted and put those on last night about 7:30. Snow storm hit this morning and were expecting 18-24" over the next couple days, so they're gonna get tested out right away!

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Rolled it this morning!

Two hunnid fiddy!!!

Makes over half a mil collectively between this one and my 95.

I'd like to get this one to 300. Won't take long if I keep driving 60 miles a day to work and back.

(Pay no mind to the speedometer... I promise I was "sitting still"...)

post-23241-0-51872600-1455680502_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1