Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Desert Fox. My `84 DL Wagon

Mechanical_misfit

I got 93oct for $3.78/gal today.

Yes, the R160 is the same through the years (Even Legacy diffs are R160s) the 3.900 will need to be matched in the front as well though.

Kinda surprised yours doesn't have 3.900, mind does.

Insane, more reasons I wish I could leave Ca. We are at $4.80 ish for 91 !!!

*edit* hi jack over. Read your entire thread and I have to say you did an amazing job restoring this 84. The Desert Fox rocks!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I may have a chance at getting some good used 175/70/13 Hankook snow tires for cheap. Anybody have issues with that size tire on their 4x4 ea81?

I'm also hoping to get my H wheels blasted today, then powder coated Monday, and hoping these tires will work out.

Here's some more pics of the Fox. It's stashed away right now for winter, but I'm thinking of maybe just going for it and running it through the winter. I'll have to spend some time rust proofing it though. Any suggestions there?

I05iP.jpg

BQNuX.jpg

it sure has come a long way, I keep finding old pictures on my hard drive.

jBhCx.jpg

If you don't have to run it in the winter, then don't. The salt on the roads is a killer, even with lots of rust prevention, it will only slow it down, not stop it. But if you do have to run it, then just take as many steps to prevent the rust as possible, and wash it well after each storm dries up.

• 4 weeks later...

Love it man, I can't believe I posted your picture on instagram and you were already on instagram the_desert_fox!

Love the decals,

B&R sign and design did them right?

now I want a car with these on them, actually I'm getting ready to painta buddy's old GL wagon and I want to convince him to go with this theme!

Yep, B&R did them, very nice stuff too.

Its funny, there are no old Subies like this around here, and I live in a small town. People start to recognize it and give me a thumbs up or wave. My next project is going to be a BRAT that gets the same theme. Then I'll have a matching set. I wouldn't mind seeing a BRAT done up in the Mountain Grizzly decals too. Has anybody ever seen one of these other than the red wagon McBrat had or the one I have?

here's some more pics from thanksgiving day. I hit some trails to help the turkey settle.

802_536860049658796_125761194_n.jpg

397094_536012356410232_1266953271_n.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing a BRAT done up in the Mountain Grizzly decals too. Has anybody ever seen one of these other than the red wagon McBrat had or the one I have?

Ya, I really wish I could have got a scan of those strips before McBrat applied them to his wagon. There's also a set of diamond edition stripes I'd love to get my hands on too.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've started the long uphill battle with rust. Got the interior stripped, and now I'm working on the floor pans. I'll have pics later. In the mean time does anyone have a good method for removing this tar like rubber material that the factory put on these floors? I took some if off in big chunks, but now I'm left with the sticky stuff. My wire wheel is just making a mess rather than taking it off.

Ill give that a shot when im back at it in the morning.

It all came apart pretty quickly

Zzeo7.jpg

OUeW4.jpg

I'm going to give everything a good cleaning, and probably repaint most of the interior trim.

i3cTB.jpg

The rust is pretty similar to other ea81 wagon rust repair threads ive seen on here. It shouldnt be too big of a deal to get it all welded up. I'll probably be doing the rockers here soon too.

These are probably the last pics of it in driveable shape for a while. I'm going to be busy with this rust. Then I'll be doing a clutch and adding a dual range trans. I also plan on refreshing the front end with new struts, breaks, and axles.

I'd really love to drive out for the WCSS this year. :burnout:

4laVF.jpg

ffSwu.jpg

cqAv7.jpg

ahh... ea81 car rust repair

just don't let the repair turn into a long-extended process.

Make some bold moves cutting/welding a big area, maybe can-of-foam to fill body cavities, fiberglass-reinforced bondo is also great stuff for final sealing up of holes etc in welded up areas... then call it good enough and put your car back together.

That floor stuff breaks off the easiest when its cold, and maybe with a hammer and chisel/screwdriver.

Edited by TajMan

So after hammering away for an hour or so, all the sound insulation came out. It was cold and chipped off without too much trouble. I've got more holes in the floor than I thought. Nothing too bad though. I have most of it cut out, and will start patching it up tomorrow. I'm still waiting on some parts for my welder, so that's the big hold up at this point.

I also scored a factory tape deck and radio from a fellow USMB member. I can't wait to get that and install it. :headbang:

I'll post more pics once I've got all the rust repairs done. I'll even try to use a good camera. My Ipod doubles as my digital camera, and doesn't really do much justice for that sort of stuff.

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

That looks awesome, how does does it do stock out on the dunes? my brat is the one Tajman painted and I really wanna find some fun places to shred in utah. I love your stripes! Super old school and unique!!

It does pretty well on the dunes. It's all about tire pressure. I can make the biggest dunes they have at Silver Lake without too much trouble. It's hilarious seeing lifted and built full size trucks struggle when I can cruise right past.

Just ordered two new EMPI front axles from rock auto, and some other goodies from Amazon. I also got the parts needed for my welder. I'll be stopping at the metal shop after work tomorrow to pick up the last of the steel I need. This weekend is going to be productive!

Here's more dis-assembly pics

RreuG.jpg

I plan on swapping to the Cyclops light, so this is the last you'll see of the stock grill.

I also found out that I need a drivers side corner lamp. They had some deck screws through the back side that were holding the bulb/socket in place. It must have been damaged in the fender bender that happened before I had it. You can tell the entire drivers side has been repainted. It doesn't look quite as good as the passenger side.

Gdt4m.jpg

Bumper is off, and I only broke a couple bolts on the underside. Usually our Midwest cars like for most of the bolts to snap off in the body.

zVlJB.jpg

Then I got the drivers side off, and found less rust than I thought. :headbang: I noticed that sand likes to hang out on the inner edge of the radiator support. I'll have to keep an eye on that when I wash it after being on the dunes. It has a little bit of surface rust but the metal is solid. This is all getting sealed up, I don't want her rusting out for a long time.

AvNXJ.jpg

Same story on the passenger side. It looks pretty good. I also pulled the headlamps. The rad support has a bit of surface rust too, so I'll be painting that as well.

a1CpS.jpg

Its crazy to see it stripped down this far. I never figured I'd be getting this far in to it. I'm lucky to have inherited my Grandparents `93 Olds 88 and have been using that as a DD, so now I actually have time to work on TDF.

I also got a package in the mail yesterday from The Sucker King. I got two gauge clusters and a factory radio/tape deck combo! Thanks John. I'll be working this week on getting the required LEDs and rebuilding one for TDF. My odometer never really worked, and my bulbs are pretty dim.

I still have a big ticket Item coming from Colorado. I think I might keep that a secret for a while though. Next week is going to be like a 2nd xmas.