Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Desert Fox. My `84 DL Wagon

Mechanical_misfit

Got the tires installed. Tdf is riding so much better now. I will post pics in a few days and give an update on how they hold up. These things are probably 10 years old, maybe older.

I would watch them carefully. I have seen belt separations and sidewall failures on older tires, even on new ones that have been in storage for a number of years.

Edited by Crazyeights

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks. The concern I had with the tires was because of their age. I got them from a dude who had put them on a nicely restored RX7, which was wrecked soon after getting these new tires installed. He saved them in his barn for a really long time. I use lots of tire shine on them, and they seem to be holding up just fine. 

I replaced my rear shocks again, with the $5 Monroe shocks that were on Rockauto. the ride is better, and I think the rear sits a little bit higher now. 

I had to swap out another front axle! The Drivers side lost its inner boot, and I actually broke the inner joint. not too happy about that. It seems like everything is tight under there, and the trans mounts are fine, so I'm not sure what happened. 

I think that's it on updates. For the future, i have a set of wheels almost ready for some powder, and will probably do the A bar at the same time. 

Here's some more pics. 

6lsa37j.jpg

K3exHA1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This poor old girl is absolutely buried under this snow! I have started it a few times, and it gave me no trouble. I just can't bear the thought of it getting any salt on it, so it sits. 

I have plans for her, but really waiting to move to a new place with a garage. In the meantime, I'm ordering parts as I can afford them. She is going to need a clutch, a few seals, and a new radiator. I am also swapping in a dual range 4 speed at the same time as the clutch replacement. 

Miles Fox hooked me up with some of the needed parts for a rear disc swap. I am rebuilding the calipers, and still looking for backing plates and hubs. I did manage to acid dip the caliper brackets, and powder coated them Sodapop red. 

mOJpzKa.jpg

• Like 1

Liking the rear disc swap! Its a nice upgrade, since its a PITA to find correct rear shoes with a hole in the shoes bracket for the star wheel adjuster. I could never find shoes when I worked for O'reilly, I contacted so many manufactures only to find the same flaw.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You know guys, Ive never signed up to a forum in my life, and I signed up here and this is my first post just to say...

Holy spoob man, That is soo nice and you have one very very (very) envious admirer here in Australia.

I always rekoned if I was to get a wagon that i'd outfit it with Desert Fox stickers, in red if I could find a set.

Anyway looks real nice, be proud and keep it out of that damn salt! My hometown is about 80kms from the coast and 30m above sea level and codswalloping *everything* rusts there, theres a lot of old subarus sitting around in paddoks rusting away so look after it its a classic car now, itll be a gem for years to come.

• 2 months later...

Updates:

I scored a Yakima Load warrior rack, along with some gutter mount cross bars for this not too long ago for $75, and Spuds Mckenzie has a new home mounted to the top. 

I also have been driving the hell out of this old girl. We did 1200 miles over a long weekend trip to my cabin in the Upper peninsula of Michigan. 

and as always, I've been running it at silver Lake sand dunes with absolutely no troubles.

I recently switched to Firestone Winterforce snow tires, and couldnt be happier. 

10659230_891461204198677_366693873929023

Edited by Mechanical_misfit
  • Like 1