Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 5spd swap newbie Q's

bikewhorder

Hello, sorry for the newbie questions but I couldn't find my answer in the archives. I recently bought a 1980 brat and on my first drive home (500mi) I developed a major oil leak in the transmission and when I topped it up with gear oil, the clutch seemes to have gotten "oiled" as well. So not being one to do things halfway I'm considering an ea81 swap and dual range 5spd conversion from an ea82. I found some info on the conversion, but what I can't seem to find is what to look for when buying the transmission. I called a guy who was selling one not too far away, but he pointed out that it was a push button from 4wd to 2wd and what I needed is a stick shift kind. Is this correct and is there anything else i need to watch out for?

Hey Chris. Yeah the transmission needs to be from a pre 1990 EA82. 90 and newer EA82's were called Loyales and only came with a push button 4WD. The 85-89 EA82 GL's came with the 5 spd dual range. So any 4WD manual transmission from a pre 90, EA82 GL.

Hey Chris. Yeah the transmission needs to be from a pre 1990 EA82. 90 and newer EA82's were called Loyales and only came with a push button 4WD. The 85-89 EA82 GL's came with the 5 spd dual range. So any 4WD manual transmission from a pre 90, EA82 GL.

WITH the dual range lever... Some 4WD transmissions are pushbuttons in the 80s too... mainly the turbos

Thanks, yeah I've since come to learn that the push button types are not dual range, I've located a D/R in NH with supposedly 29k and an ea81 in MA with 50k. I could have the whole setup for about $450 and I'm serioulsy thinking about pulling the trigger on it. I'm a bit scared though because I'm pretty spread thin right now and there's no end in sight to the list of things I NEED to be doing and I'm not sure I could squeeze a project like this in. I know this has been done before but I'm having trouble finding all the info on what to expect. Something about machining the flywheel? I'm not too worried about enlarging the tunnel and modifying the mounts its just the internal mechanics of the frankenstein engine trans combo that have me worried. Since Ive never even changed a clutch before i don't have a solid understanding of what's going on in there. Other questions Are there any wiring issues to worry about? This motor i've found needs a starter and alternator, can I use the one from my ea71? Is my rear end the right ratio? I've got a spare 3.7 lsd from my datsun 510, will it work in this setup? Jason, do you think you'd be able to come over and help out if I get really stuck? I'm sure your busy too, but I could try to make it up to you some how. I could offer you the use of my barn if you need a dry place to work occasionally, or something. Decisions, decisions,

Hey Chris, no need to machine a flywheel. Just get an EA82 flywheel and clutch kit, then just clearance the bottom of the bellhousing on the motor. Those are some low mileage parts! I say get them. I should definitely be able to come over and lend a hand at some point, probably have to be a week night, but I want to see this thing happen. The clutch is an easy thing to do. Very straight forward. And the motor and tranny will just bolt together. I don't think the starter will work, and I'm not sure about the alternator. But I'm pretty sure I have a starter, and it even has almost new battery leads as well. I think I have an alternator too, but yours might have an external regulator, but I know that people have made the newer alternators work before with a little wiring modification. Other than that, there really shouldn't be much for wiring. And as far as the mechanics of it all, the engine and tranny bolt together, then engine will literally just drop in, you know what the car needs to make the transmission fit, and that's it. Yeah it's a bit of a project, but when it comes down to it, it's really pretty simple.

I should add that the 5 spd dual range will have a 3.9 final drive, so you need to find out what your BRAT has. that is something else that's easy to change if necessary and 3.9 rear diffs are cheap. I still have a spare one at a friends house too. OR, we could mod the 3.7 LSD to make it 3.9 and then you'd have LSD!

If its a '80, it's going to have a few issues with clearance. I can't recall exactly but I remember something about the driver side axle contacting the steering shaft.

Yeah he knows he is going to have to make some room. I know he was talking to someone on here all about it through pm.

If its a '80, it's going to have a few issues with clearance. I can't recall exactly but I remember something about the driver side axle contacting the steering shaft.

I called Bratsrus to see what his "kit" consisted of and the conversation left me discouraged. I was not actually aware of a clearance problem with the steering, what causes that?

I bought this car because i actually needed a car, and since the last thing i need right how is another project I think I'm just going to fix it in it's factory form for now. One good thing about that is that if i decided to rally X it i won't be bumped into the 4wd open category! Thanks for the help though and I may take you up on showing me how to modify my lsd to 3.9 gears. -Chris