Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 92 legacy L, the winter ride

1982gl4

This car was purchased while I had my last 1992 Legacy Ls wagon. I was thinking of flipping it until I saw the shape it was in, and ended up selling the one I had already put a tone of work into to have a cleaner body to work with. I picked it up of craigslist for $500 it started life as a plain old auto legacy, decided to do a five speed swap, and the mod list kept growing from there, and I can't stop adding to it. Just yesterday I picked up a rear 2002 wrx seat for it to match my front ones. I've also been pondering the idea of a frankenmotor. It currently has 200,000 and runs like the day it was new, and now that is it is summer I can do a bit more work on it as I'm not driving it with my other summer projects on the road.

Here are the mods I have done.

Exterior Mods:

Gt Lip kit

Gt Badging

Forester S 16" wheels

Red Rally armor UR mud flaps

Hella Fogs

custom painted badge

1997 LGT hatch spoiler

Blacked out tailgate

JDM'D tails

1982 GL skid plate

Projector Headlights built by me

Turbo Grill

Engine/Drivetrain mods:

Cat back W/ wrx muffler

Modded intake

Five speed swap

1997 outback 4:11 gears

Interior Mods:

02 WRX front seats

02 wrx rear seat

Forester Compass

Kenwood Stereo

JVC 6" speakers

1991 Legacy single color door cards

1991 five speed center console

Brakes:

Stock rears

LGT Front dual piston

Suspension:

Wrx kyb's

stock springs

1997 OB rear sway bar

2-7.jpg

2-20.jpg?t=1306544016

3-2.jpg

7-11.jpg?t=1306544016

1-13.jpg

1-9.jpg

5-2.jpg

3-5.jpg

3-6.jpg

What all was involved in putting the rear wrx wagon seats in? Do they still lay flat?

I just put them in today, and it wasn't a direct swap, but with some cutting and swapping parts they fit well, and fold down, although I didn't lay them at the same time now that I think of it. But I swapped the center bracket out with the stock one, unfortunately you can only use half of the bolts that hold it on, on both sides of the seats and where it bolts to the floor. On the bracket in the center where it does bolt to the floor I had to file it out a bit so it sat low enough. On both ends of the seat I had to cut the mounting tabs off as they are too long and hit the plastic. I used the stock wrx side mounts but again you can only use 1 out of 2 bolts that hold them in. The bottom fits well with the exception the rear hold down is in the wrong spot, I just opted not to worry about it, it seems to stay in place just fine with out it.

WRX Front/Rear seats looks nice in there! I should try and retro fit those into the EA81 lol.

Forester compass FTW! I flipping want one!

Thanks, the front seats where one of the first things done to the car, a dog got a bit happy with the last ones. I scored that forester compass for 50 bucks along with some other parts at my "local" junkyard. I was pretty psyched. I'm not sure if the rear seat would fit in an ea81, but the fronts have been done before. IMO they are some of the most comfortable seats out there, I absolutely love them.

I put rear WRX seats in my RS coupe and I remember it being a huge PITA.

Hm, I would think that would be easier as the seats are basically the same in the two different models. The newer impreza wagons have a much different style seat as the bottom no longer flips up. I was a little worried after I bought them if I could get them to fit....

Picked up a 97 outback for free, looks like I have found a good hood to cut up for a scoop zzz. The outback is rusty, real rusty. So off road is they way it shall spend its last miles (engines not worth anything 2.5 dohc that burns oil and coolant) Should be fun :lol:

Take some video of the action!

Haha it will last a while, it will go well with the pathfinder I use offroad. The nissan has lasted me years, welded diffs and all. I built it with my friend in high school autotech. I'll make sure to take some vids of it at some point, along with the nissan.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a rear diff protector for this! I can't wait to put that on. I would like to make a nice front one for it that includes a mount for my fog lights. Right now I'm running an ea81 skid plate on it, but it doesn't have the coverage I would like.

• 1 month later...

Picked up some aluminum street signs for skid plates for this :headbang: the girl I sold my old legacy to works at the state garage, and hooked me up with 4 large signs. I also picked up some UEL headers for this! I'm waiting for those to come in so I can fit my signs.

Thanks man! This car is an absolute blast, I love how easy everything is to swap over from other models as well!

Here's a pic of the goodies I just got in.

New headers

1_zpsbbe3cc36.jpg

My underside protection :brow:

1_zps1482364e.jpg

I need to take the cat off my outback parts so I have the right type of car for the header. I'll have to make it work with the rest of my system, but that shouldn't be an issue as I work at an exhaust shop :headbang:

I also have to grab a few other things of the outback, I think I can make the tweeters work in my doors, I also still need to make that hood I have been planing on for ages...

The car needs a bit of work before winter, I'll have to change all the fluids, needs hoses this year, touch up the little bit of rust on the hatch, fender, and door. I also have to reseal the oil pan as I never got to it last year, that cork gasket sketches me out. I have no idea why anyone would have put one of those in. So a fair amount of work before winter, but it should make for some good thread updates :popcorn:

Do you have a writeup thread for the Forester Compass setup install?

I don't, but it is very easy. On the plug on the back of the compass all of the wires are labeled except for one, which I believe I left on hooked. Also make sure it is below the radio if you are putting it in the dash like I did. If it is placed above it the compass will not read correctly.

EJ22 shouldnt have had a cork gasket...

Mine didnt... just RTV and I RTV'd it back on... Ultra Grey - No leaks.

Trust me I know they use rtv, I have no idea why anyone would have put one in, I don't even use them on my ea81's which came with them :horse:

Put a new oil pan on tonight. Unfortunately there was some clearance issues between the larger style oil pan and the headers so some modifications where made (hammer). The headers went on pretty easy after that after modifying the new style converter (The flange was rusty, so I replaced it) I also have a wheel bearing on its way out. Really started making noise today, I'll be putting one in the right front in the next few days.

1-16.jpg

I have a video as well if anyone wants to give it a listen. Current set up is UEL headers, new style cat, glass pack in the center pipe, and a 2002 wrx axel back.

http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb463/1982gl4/Leggy/?action=view&current=1-16.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1207.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb463%2F1982gl4%2FLeggy%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DIMG_0890.mp4

Thanks! Its still not as loud as I would like, I may get a different muffler at some point, but this will do for now.

Last nights project looked a bit like this.

1-112.jpg

It is so much nicer with the new bearing installed. I only drove it with the bad one for a day before I couldn't take it anymore!

Also I snapped a quick photo when I got home. Fall colors are really setting in around here...

2-64.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
What is the stock bulb number for the first gens? And did you do the projectors about the same way the EA guys like Turbone and them do theirs?

I've got a 96 I'd like to stuff projectors into after I get it running, and have begun the research now.

This thread explains how I made them in some detail.

http://www.newenglandsubarus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19873&page=12

I think the stock bulbs are h4's

Stock projector headlights were installed in other countries for the second gen legacy, you can come across them pretty easily. I think they have to be re aimed for our roads (we drive on the other side) I don't know what is involved in doing that.

I will say I did in no way steal the sighs I'm using. They were given to me by the state garage down the street from where I work for this purpose.

Tonight I stayed after work for a while and decided to mount my road sign. Came out pretty well. I still have some more mounts to make for it and attach it in a few more spots. I also may add another small section that goes from the current skit plate to the transmission crossmember. Over all I'm very pleased with it.

1-17.jpg

These are the rear mounts I made tonight using some square stock, nuts, and plate steel. They mount to the plate below the power steering rack.

2-13.jpg

I also undercoated this last week. I'm doing my best to keep the rust and salt away. I used a new product I have never used before. Its called Fluid Film. I'm interested to see how it hold up over this winter. So far I'm very happy with how it sprayed, and how it has stuck to the car.

3-9.jpg

Edited by 1982gl4

• 5 weeks later...