Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 92 legacy L, the winter ride

1982gl4

I wish I had an update... I've been so busy at work that I haven't gotten much done on this. Really I've only been driving it, and not really that often. I've been carpooling to work so I save money. Also the garage where I do my projects is currently holding my VW beetle.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some snow last night. The roads were quite bad, a lot of people were off the road due to ice even the plow trucks were having issues, as usual the Subaru had no issues at all :cool:

For some reason this car always looks better in the winter.

1-3.jpg

1-4.jpg

Thanks man! We just got a couple of inches. About half of it has melted at this point. The problem was it rained a bit before and we had a nice layer of ice under the snow. People were sliding everywhere. I was glad to have studs! I can't wait to get more! I just hate the salt that comes along with it.... They waisted no time getting that down last night.

Thanks man! We just got a couple of inches. About half of it has melted at this point. The problem was it rained a bit before and we had a nice layer of ice under the snow. People were sliding everywhere. I was glad to have studs! I can't wait to get more! I just hate the salt that comes along with it.... They waisted no time getting that down last night.

Yeah the salt and calcium chloride they put down really sucks! I just remembered that you go snowmobiling too right? So I bet you're looking forward to the same thing I am! I actually just picked up a new (to me) sled.

Yeah the salt and calcium chloride they put down really sucks! I just remembered that you go snowmobiling too right? So I bet you're looking forward to the same thing I am! I actually just picked up a new (to me) sled.

Yeah I can't wait for it! What did you get? I need to put mine back together I broke a track clip up your way last year. It ate my sliders away so I need to spend a day getting it back to spec.

Yeah I can't wait for it! What did you get? I need to put mine back together I broke a track clip up your way last year. It ate my sliders away so I need to spend a day getting it back to spec.

I picked up a 2004 Polaris Switchback 700 with the 144" track! It's sweet. Take a look in my facebook pics and you will see it. I hope we get a bunch of snow this year!!

I am soooo doing that projector mod to my headlamps. That is really cool. Good work. I will be following suit once I get some more cash. I HATE my stock headlights, they totally suck!

How much of an improvement would you say the projectors are over stock, huge or just so so?

Thanks for the ideas!

I am soooo doing that projector mod to my headlamps. That is really cool. Good work. I will be following suit once I get some more cash. I HATE my stock headlights, they totally suck!

How much of an improvement would you say the projectors are over stock, huge or just so so?

Thanks for the ideas!

I would recommend doing it 100% I made one mistake on mine in that my cut off isn't 100% because my projectors are tilted slightly as I aimed them with the lights on the floor and not in the car so they meet like this /\ (not that extreme but they aren't perfectly flat in the car). But they are a vast improvement over stock (not that it would take much :) )

Here's some pics and info of the process.

Started by baking some spares in the oven and removing then lenses.

1-15.jpg

Then spent hours sanding down the fluting on the back to make the lenses clear, getting the corners semi smooth was a chore in itself. Ended up using a combo of a dremel and a 90* grinder with a fiberglass pad on it along with some hand sanding including 80 grit to start and 180, and I think I finished with 400.

2-12.jpg

Then I used a 3m headlight buffing kit on both the inside and outsides of the lenses.

3-8.jpg

These are the projectors I ended up getting.

4-5.jpg

I had to grind out the back of the bucket to fit the new projectors.

5-3.jpg

Painted the chrome black along with the projector housings.

6-2.jpg

7-1.jpg

Then I put them back in the oven to reheat the glue, and put the lenses on after epoxying the housings into the buckets. I also ran a beed of silicon along the bottom of the housing, and between it and the bucket to prevent vibration.

8-1.jpg

And thats about it besides some wiring.

9.jpg

1-10.jpg

Awesome man. Thanks for the quick writeup and the pics!

I am not worried about the wiring at all. I will probably just rewire it all anyways with new wire and new relays and just use the existing wiring to trigger the new relays, and then wire it all right to the battery. Less voltage drop that way :)

How did you wire in the angle eyes? Did you just wire up to the parking lights, or to another switch all together or both? I think I would wire up to a separate switch, but only give that switch power when the parking lights are on. That way I don't leave them on and drain the battery.

I also have a spare set of buckets too, so I am already half way there!

I think after I lift my car, this is going to be my next mod. Soooo useful!

Thanks again man!

Thanks Bratman!

Awesome man. Thanks for the quick writeup and the pics!

I am not worried about the wiring at all. I will probably just rewire it all anyways with new wire and new relays and just use the existing wiring to trigger the new relays, and then wire it all right to the battery. Less voltage drop that way :)

How did you wire in the angle eyes? Did you just wire up to the parking lights, or to another switch all together or both? I think I would wire up to a separate switch, but only give that switch power when the parking lights are on. That way I don't leave them on and drain the battery.

I also have a spare set of buckets too, so I am already half way there!

I think after I lift my car, this is going to be my next mod. Soooo useful!

Thanks again man!

No problem, glad you found it useful :D

My hids are wired off from the stock light switch, and get power from the battery. The angel eyes are hooked into the parking light circuit That way I don't have to remember to shut them off!

Using a spare set would be wise as you won't have any down time, although it really only took me a weekend to do this.

My last legacy I lifted. I decided I wanted to go a different rout with this one. I really did like the extra ground clearance, but I like the wrx kyb's in this one a lot!

I have never owned a lifted soobie and I totaled my old loyale before I could lift it, so I am lifting my leggy. Putting 235/75/15 on it with a 3" SJR lift and with forrester shocks and springs so I should be a good amount higher in the air when all said and done. Adding a LSD as well. With the lift and my paddle shifters and DCCD knob, my car will almost be unstoppable! Especially when I can light up the way in front of me!

BTW, I am digging that turbo grill as well :brow:

I have never owned a lifted soobie and I totaled my old loyale before I could lift it, so I am lifting my leggy. Putting 235/75/15 on it with a 3" SJR lift and with forrester shocks and springs so I should be a good amount higher in the air when all said and done. Adding a LSD as well. With the lift and my paddle shifters and DCCD knob, my car will almost be unstoppable! Especially when I can light up the way in front of me!

BTW, I am digging that turbo grill as well :brow:

Mine only had outback suspension in it, but it was great. I took that thing everywhere, and anywhere. Those trans mods will be amazing, I always wanted to try it on my last one after reading about your loyale, but I decided just to swap this on as I had all the parts!

The turbo grill is one of my favorite parts of this car so far. They really should have come with them from the factory. I have all the parts to make a hood with an outback scoop as well. That will be next after I finish up some of my other more urgent projects.

Mine only had outback suspension in it, but it was great. I took that thing everywhere, and anywhere. Those trans mods will be amazing, I always wanted to try it on my last one after reading about your loyale, but I decided just to swap this on as I had all the parts!

Ya, I love my paddles. 2nd gear starts FTW. Can't wait to lift my rig!

The turbo grill is one of my favorite parts of this car so far. They really should have come with them from the factory. I have all the parts to make a hood with an outback scoop as well. That will be next after I finish up some of my other more urgent projects.

That hood will look good. Looking forward to seeing it man!

I really want to have the Diff lock mod to my 98 Foz, I am just clueless when it comes to car wiring.

It's not that horribly hard to do. If you ever do want do to it, just LMK and I can help you out. It's a fairly straight forward mod and works great. It's worth the little bit of time it takes to wire it in. The last time I did it it took me about 3 hours and that included looking up the proper wire to cut on the TCU.

• 3 weeks later...

I took this into work today (I had a long weekend) and got around to doing somethings that I have been meaning to do for a while now. My e-brake was so misadjusted, that it was hardly doing anything anymore. So that is now adjusted. I also got to wash the salt off the car, that had been stressing me out. I can say my undercoating job is holding up very well, so hopefully that will keep the rust at bay for a while. I also have been having an issue with the clutch peddle sticking to the floor. It turns out that it was the helper spring. I removed that and it works so much better!

I also took this out of the outback i just picked up...

1-18_zps3b3177fe.jpg

I'm thinking about building a 2.2/2.5 hybrid out of it...

Edited by 1982gl4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Started working on this getting ready for winter/ an upcoming trip. I have a bunch left to do in the next week or so. But tonight I started by replacing the starter contacts, and buffing it as the paint was looking pretty sad. 

Very worn starter contacts

1_zps10748a7c.jpg

Contact kit. 

2_zps05c2462f.jpg

New ones installed 

3_zps8d1c0ecf.jpg

Cleaned up a bit, I have legacy turbo wheels on it for now as I have no need for studded snows for the trip I have planned. 

4_zps1517e988.jpg

5_zps733c282e.jpg

I still have to do the timing belt, plugs and wires, filters, all the hose clamps are looking rusty, radiator hoses trans and diff oil, touch up a couple of rust spots, and I now have to fix the passenger side seat belt as that stopped working the other day. 

Got the timing belt done, tune up stuff all taken care of and undercoated the front half of it. I also changed the diff and trans oil, and put a new fuel filter in. Took me forever to do the timing belt because the bracket for the tensioner stripped out and I had to come home to get another one. It was a good thing due to the timing covers all being broken, I was able to grab the spare set I had at home. It should all be set now. I'll I need to fix is the seatbelt and it will be set for the road trip! 

All new parts! 

1_zpscbb30950.jpg

Picture with the SS

2_zps0472f53a.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well I went on my trip with this a few weeks back. I've been super busy and haven't had much spare time to come on here and update. Picked up another project and have been working 12 hour days for a while now.... As far as the trip went, all was well until I hit some traffic in NY turns out my cooling fans haven't worked for a while.... The car slightly overheated, gauge never pegged or anything pulled it over got it cooled off, and drove to virginia with the heat blasting  :mad: My friend got me a universal fan which I put in the next day in North Carolina at my other friend's apartment. I had to pull the ac out, as it mounted on the front of the radiator, but that wasn't a big deal as it hasn't worked for a long time and it had no charge. The trip back was uneventful with the exception of the car burning a ton of oil. Now it seems to be burning even more a few weeks later. Looks like it may be time to build a 2.5/2.2 hybrid. I'm going to try and make it this winter with this engine and do something about it in the summer hopefully. Other than that I undercoated the rest of the car with fluid film, and swapped on my snow tires, good thing too we had about 4 inches of snow when I got up this morning!

It's what I've been using the last couple of years to undercoat cars with.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

It's more expensive than the bar and chain oil many use up here, but it seems to work much better, and it is a heck of a lot better for the person putting it on too. Seems to work very well from my experience. I've been using it for my side business. After work I've been undercoating cars to help our customers make them last longer. Goes on easy, and it sticks pretty well, it does wash off eventually, but driving on some dusty roads will help make it stick. It stays in a liquid like state regardless of temperature or age. It actually frees things up amazingly well too. I had some lift arms at work sticking from all the salt we use up here, put it on once, and they are moving completely free now. Any questions about it just ask, I use it daily this time of year.