Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 92 legacy L, the winter ride

1982gl4

Thanks! It does sit a bit higher than stock, not really sure why. The wrx struts were just supposed to have increased dampening over the stock legacy ones, it improved handling by a lot, and sits about an inch higher now. 

Got around to fixing my rust on the tailgate. Looks much better now even if it is spray paint. 
2_zps92dc0ce1.jpg

We also got some snow so I had a bit of fun on the way home the other night. 
3_zps5af0df08.jpg

I also picked up this 97 legacy from oregon. Thing is crazy clean. I already put and timing belt stuff new brakes, tires, I also had to put a used radio in it as the P.O. cut it all out, including the  wiring... It may go up for sale as I have no use for it too many cars as it is. 
1_zpsf972c05f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The hood is gone along with the car! I sold the 97.... I ended up having to repaint my tailgate as all the paint fell off about a week after I did it. So now it should be good (fingers crossed) I also cleaned it inside and out. I also touched up around the wheel wells with fluid film, and a few rust spots that started on the drivers front fender. The left rear quarter has started to show a few rust bubbles so I need to touch that up next. I also took the plastic out of the rear and fluid filmed the rear quarters from the inside. Trying to keep this thing in decent shape is starting to become harder than it used to be. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Did some stuff to this tonight. Washed another layer of salt off the poor thing for starters. I than removed the rest of the ac as I had already removed the condenser during an emergency repair in North Carolina this fall when my cooling fans died (it has never had a charge in it since i have owned it, and the compressor was no good) so that is gone. And I'm trying out a new set of shoes. I think it looks pretty good with them! 

3_zps0d03c237.jpg

Took a while to clean them up from the brake dust that was stuck to them. Mothers aluminum polish worked wonders. 

before

1_zpse5340fd5.jpg

after

2_zpsbe59edd7.jpg

So my sister backed into this yesterday. Luckily it just smashed my hellas off it. I'm think I'm going to make light bar, and mount 4 of them this time around in a triangle patter /\. Now I might have a reason to make that light bar I've been wanting. Also thinking about going yellow lenses, any one have experience with them? 

Edited by 1982gl4

• 2 weeks later...
Started building my light bar last night. I attached it to the front tow hooks by welding a small bracket onto them, and the top is bolted to the bumper below the grill. I still have to add a lower bar, and drill all the holes for the light mounts, but when I'm finished it should be able to fit 6 hellas. I'm only doing four right now, but I have room to grow if need be! Some pics of the progress so far. 

1_zps31d6ec60.jpg

Top light mounts 

2_zps02d1824c.jpg

Where the top brackets bolt to

3_zpsb570425b.jpg

Welded up, and that other bar, is the lower one which I will hopefully be fitting tomorrow, than it should be ready for paint/ drill holes for the light mounts. 

4_zpseb663d77.jpg
  • Like 1

I love the work so far, thats a great lookin wagon. I was driving around earlier and seen a really decent one in my neighborhood thats been sitting for awhile. I'd love to find a 5 speed wagon in good shape and lift it and convince my wife that it is absolutely necessary to keep...thats the toughest job of all. I'll be checking back often, good luck!

Thanks! I'm luck as I don't have to convince anyone to keep mine! I had a lifted 92 legacy, I really liked that car, but this one matches what I do much better. I mainly use it just go to work, and on the occasional road trip.Got my light bar finished and installed tonight! I'm super happy with the way it came out. It's so much better than the old mount set up I had. I've wanted to make this light bar for as long as I've owned the car. I'm running out of things to do to it! 

Here are some pics! 

1_zps586211a6.jpg

2_zps68587339.jpg

3_zpse1e1492e.jpg

I still need to hook up the center too lights, and aim them, but I should be able to get that done tomorrow.
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, scooner I can't really add more projectors into the headlights without a lot more work, plus I'm happy with the way they are now, it was a lot of work just to get the single projectors in them! rrgrr, I'm not really feeling the teeth  :) Glad you like the light bar! 

Tonight I hooked up my hellas, and got them all working. We also got a new (really expensive) headlight aimer at work today, so I put that together during business hours and got to use it on my car tonight so I could learn how to use it. I aimed the two center ones as high beams, and the outers as low beams. I tested them out on the way home (when there was no oncoming traffic) They are super bright, so much better than the old hellas I had. Infact I'm glad my sister smashed them off my car, it turned out for the best! 

2_zpsd59d5a5e.jpg

3_zpsdae8d0ea.jpg

1_zps956e37c9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Installed a new pcv, changed the oil, (up to 209k now!) and took it to boston last weekend to see a show. The Car went great as always 27mpg at 75mph and super high rpm due to the 4.11's. Oil consumption seems to be way down with the new pcv. I also repainted the hatch for the third time this year, the paint keeps falling off when I wash it. I took it back down to metal and washed it with dawn and scotch bright pad, and used different paint. I also used an adhesion promoter and cleared it when I was all done. It seemed to do the trick this time as it didn't fall off it when I washed it today. I also was able to order rear quarter seals that go around the wheel arches, mine are starting to fall off, although they can hold the salt in place, they keep the edges from getting sand blasted all winter long. I'll be putting those on after I do a little bit of rust work, the paint has started pealing back there as well now. 

• 4 weeks later...
Put the new rear arch seals in and fixed the rear arch rust. Luckily I caught it before it was rusted badly. The paint had started to peal and it was just surface rust. A little time with a grinder and por15 it should be good for a while now! I need to touch up with a little white paint but that can wait. at least i don't have rust creeping in on my rear quarters. 

2_zpse70d6fb6.jpg

1_zps3e5af41a.jpg

Something is making a hellacious  noise in the front of this now... Seems to be doing it when I let the clutch out or under acceleration/deceleration. I'm thinking the trans mount or the motor mounts have given up. Could be the pitch stopper but I checked that when I got home. I also found the clunk I have been hearing in my front end. Looks like the steering u-joint has developed a very small amount of play. So it looks like I have some work to do. I'll put it on the lift tomorrow and see what is going on.

• 10 months later...

I haven't updated this in a long time, so far this year I have done a 4 wheel brake job, new rotors and pads, due to rust. Two years is about all I get out of them as the car doesn't see much action during the summer. All the paint has fallen off the hatch for the 4th time, and I need to repaint it. For now I just hit it with some fluid film to keep the metal from rusting, it seems to be holding up. I also had the header crack last week, and had to weld that where the flange to the cat is welded to the end of the header. I replaced the flex pipe again, this time I used a pipe joint, as they hold up better in my experience. The door seals are falling off both front doors, and it refuses to start sometimes, I need to add a relay to the signal wire. I really need to spend some time on this, and bring it back to 100%. It is still very solid, and holding up well to the rust, I just need to find some free time to work on it. My other projects (datsun, one of my VW's, and my first home purchase) are take up a lot of time. 

1_zpsaf359106.jpg
Edited by 1982gl4

• 1 month later...
So I was noticing some noises coming from the rear of this car. Figured it was a strut as I have been traviling a lot of really, really rough dirt roads, going back and forth between my parents place, and the place I recently purchased. So I put it on the lift the other day to check it over. Turns out the sway bolts had loosened and fallen out of the body. It wore one of my links down, and ruined the threads in the body. I had to take the filler neck out and rethread the body, but everything seems to be ok for now. I have a lot of work to do after the Turbo comes out for the summer. I need to paint the rear hatch again... and touch up some other rust popping up here and there. I also need to replace or weld my header it has a hole in it, unfortunately it is on top of one of the pipes, so I need to remove it to weld it. Right now I'm just trying to make it to the end of the winter so I can start to fix this thing.... 

1_zpsmbneagef.jpg

2_zpskteca6yq.jpg

In front of the new place. Don't worry I have a garage.

3_zpshcifvi3b.jpg
  • Like 1