Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'88 XT6 - Shortysayhi

shortysayhi

Well i just drove it home today! it has 170,xxx 5 speed manual trans, Rear diff lock. 5 lug. The seats are in pretty great shape besides some fading and are very dirty, only bad thing is rear left is a little damaged, and dash trim is cracked, power steering doesn't work right now. And power antenna is broken.

81e1251a.jpg898985e3.jpge9560594.jpgac6666d4.jpg

The Ujoint also is Absolute trash!

d83128bb.jpg

Edited by shortysayhi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there was talk of what you can use in place of the Cybrid steering fluid, as it is costly. Do you know what is wrong with the unit?

Nice score though! The main point is, looks rust free! ER27 FTW! You can really feel those 135hp with the 5spd.

Edited by TheLoyale

I dont know. I just don't have power steering. I'm going to start digging into it more tomorrow. And getting some gold enkei's.

I bought it for a whopping $450!!

The only rust is the rear left where it's a little crumpled but other than that it's RUST FREE! :banana:

Nice XT6... I'm so wanting another one.

Diff Lock is for the diff in the transmition, not the rear diff.

Do not drive it on pavement with it locked. Loose stuff only.....

I'll have to dig around, but may have a power antenna here, somewhere....

http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5680

Lot's of usefull info in the link, including a downloadable FSM.

I got them for cheep. So I was happy! And they are 15's.

I have a question. What coils will lower but not to much? Or would it be worth getting some tein. But they are $800

Might want to check around, any EJ (Impreza strut setup will work on that car)

Stock WRX struts might lower it a little.

Might want to check around, any EJ (Impreza strut setup will work on that car)

Stock WRX struts might lower it a little.

Yes but only on the front, you will need to find something else for the rear.

They would lower it but s techs are known to destroy struts. Well, with wrx's anyway.

I'm just going to have to save up for some complete tein's or Tanabe. front and rears.

But dropped the whole drive shaft off for all new U joints and re balencing!

got some front mud flaps, and front lower lip spoiler.

Well it did end up getting changed (carrier bearing). the u joints move like butter! :banana::banana:

Also got the front lip put on.

Now my question is... after putting the drive shaft back in, i hear a clunking noise coming from the rear... could that be the diff? my thinking is, the rear diff went bad and it bought up then the U joint broke? could that be a possibility? or would it be the rear axle's?

9cdc7fbf.jpg1032c9bc.jpg8f23ed94.jpg

That driveshaft looks bad rump roast! Now I want to get mine rebuilt. How much did it cost about?

As for the clunking, I would check the rear axles first and the Axle stubs on the diff, check for any excessive amount of play in those. You would pull the rear cover off, and check things out inside. Tug on the pinion and see if the carriage bearings are good, no play. Check teeth ect.

You can use RTV Black on the cover for reassembly.

That driveshaft looks bad rump roast! Now I want to get mine rebuilt. How much did it cost about?

As for the clunking, I would check the rear axles first and the Axle stubs on the diff, check for any excessive amount of play in those. You would pull the rear cover off, and check things out inside. Tug on the pinion and see if the carriage bearings are good, no play. Check teeth ect.

You can use RTV Black on the cover for reassembly.

it was 230 for 3 Ujoints, and carrier bearing, with balancing and they painted it! it also comes with a 1 year warranty, i was referred to "drive shaft doctors" aka denver drive shaft. by 3 places (one local subaru shop) and 2 axle and wheel places.

I was thinking i can just swap rear diffs from my parts wagon since they both are 3.900 gearing. but ill mess with that and the power steering issue after i get plates.

Wow, yeah. That bushing is gone! Is that seal on the Output shaft for the Center driveshaft?

Yes, i had to re fill my transmission (it leaked all out the first time) so i thought id just put a new seal in. And I pushed up on the rear diff and I assumed that, that's where the noise is coming from.