Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2" lift + 4Runner GasAjusts + Moog Springs =

xbeerd

Well, Oreilly and Autozone only carry the 248 in stock. Napa appears to have both, not Moog but their Napa brand. However the ratings are different. Everything being equal again, the automatic springs are Design Load of 524, and the manual's are Design Load 484. But the rest of the specs are identical, including free height, load height, number of coils, and coil diameter.

*shrug*

auto

manual

They might be. I've got an unmounted front strut here in my lap, and the maximum outer diameter it could fit is exactly 5.5 inches. Considering the coil wire diameters is about half an inch, I figure we're looking at a minimum ID of 4.5, maximum ID of maybe 4.8 inch. Also, looking at the contact surface on the strut, any less than 4.5 inches would be too small and flop around.

Considering the Tempo front springs are only 4.375 ID, no wonder people found them to be too small.

So I might have found a candidate. I can't find a nice list of springs, so I'm just going through Napa's website, entering random cars, checking their spring specs.

Behold:

2000 Ford Crown Victoria, rear coil springs

Coil spring inner diameter 4.54"

Spring Rate 163, wire diameter .593"

Free height 15.25"

Load height 11.5"

Only problem is that it has those pigtail ends. However, once you saw those off, you're gonna have a nice variable rate spring that might be just the right height. And since Crown Vics are cop cars, we might be able to find a lot of these used.

Another decent candidate: 1993 Dodge Intrepid

Spring ID: 4.663"

Free height: 14"

Load height: 12"

Spring rate: 135

Wire diameter: .562

Not much load rate, but with some trimming it may increase. However, this ain't a variable rate spring, so this might serve as a decent OEM replacement.

However, the next gen Intrepid, 1998-2004, might work very well.

Spring ID: 4.75"

Free Height: 12.9"

Load height: 10"

Load: 420

Spring Rate: 145

Wire diameter: .531"

No pigtail ends, either. Just one tangential end, one square.

You know what's really damn funny? I've been posting in the wrong thread for the last few posts. I've been looking for what would work for front springs, as apparently the Ford Tempo springs don't actually fit.

xD

Also, I've been researching those Toyota 4runner front struts, and found a company called SenSen that makes a good quality part for a fraction of the price. Right now, you can get a PAIR of them for $70 shipped!

From what I've researched on SenSen and their APX line of performance suspension, everyone who has installed them was skeptical at first because of the insanely low price, but after using them for a few months, they said they handled just as good as KYB shocks, and seemed to be well built. Also, these have a lifetime warranty, which may come in handy for folks like us who will probably abuse them more than your average driver.

Shouldn't you find my other thread about FRONT suspension? Haha kidding.

The 2wd has a lower spring seat right? I think any of the 11" or so options would work as a replacement with minimal modification. Unfortunately I don't have a set of 2wd strut to test it onr I'd grab a set of springs from the jy.

If I recall the spring install height on the 4wd is 8". So the 2wd would be about 2" taller (I thinkni read that somewhere 2" was the dif?)

That sucks. At least a lot of places still have some stockpiled. And you could always go with the cheapo OEM replacements. Wonder if SenSen makes one.

If worse comes to worse, then it'll be EJ knuckle/strut swaps for the lot of us. :D

That sucks. At least a lot of places still have some stockpiled. And you could always go with the cheapo OEM replacements. Wonder if SenSen makes one.

If worse comes to worse, then it'll be EJ knuckle/strut swaps for the lot of us. :D

Yeah it just sucks its a sign of the times, soon EA82 stuff won't be available at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I just realized something. Stock EA82 rear struts have 6 inches of travel. These 4runner struts only have 4 inches of travel! wtf!

Have you guys who have done the swap noticed any problems from the decrease in travel? I imagine it would mostly hurt articulation.