Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2 Brat engine/trans swaps, '83 will go for sale

TajMan

Hey guys

recently I got this '86 Brat that was a lot more original rust free and lightly used, so sooner than later I'll be preparing my cray awesome '83 Brat to be finished and sold. I have a bunch of engines/transmissions/new parts, things are getting pulled out of both cars and swapped around/refreshed right now.

I know my '83 has had a crazy life, many owners and has seen a lot, rebuilds and conversions and very effective driving.

don't hate because it has a mustache bumper and headlight 'eyebrows' right now, it has gained its personality there is no simple explanation here, it just owns the road around it

2012-04-25195122.jpg

2012-04-20172046.jpg

Engine runs hard, 191K on the gauges now I've driven it the past 25K miles, getting a new '84 4-speed dual range manual trans and many new suspension/brake/etc parts now. [yesterday I did 88mph on the freeway in 4WD on the old '81 trans haha] Will be all finished up with new black paint job, bed restored with the seats in the back & bedliner, straight tailgate & everything, underbody & everything fixed & sealed up everywhere. Expect it to be selling in the range of $3,600 w/ 13" wheels or $4,200 w/ the 15" Peugeot alloys with new Goodyear tires (guess, if all works out as planned).

So this new '86 I've got here is pretty awesome and rarely newish/original. Custom gem top over the bed that is level with the roofline.

2012-05-14152745.jpg

2012-05-14153004.jpg

2012-05-14152916.jpg

Spent much of its 143K road miles towed behind a motorhome :)

Yesterday my buddy and I got the engine/trans all disconnected ready to pull out now. This car will get the 5-speed dual range transmission swap, I'm excited for this nice Brat when it comes together, probably paint it the original blue its a nice color for a fresh job. Car has A/C, coooooool

I was surprised to learn the '86 Brat no longer had the seats in the bed from the factory.

Edited by TajMan

right now I've got 2 brat shells in 2 storage sheds next to each other, 4 engines and 3 transmissions sitting on the ground..

'84 engine & transmission are going into my black car, they have around 135K miles I believe.

Edited by TajMan

Lots of work, but the engine/trans going back into the [83, black] car [drivetrain out of an 84 GL wagon] has been all cleaned up and re-gasketed/sealed so it will not leak any more oil, full engine gasket kit by from ITM engine components

-oil pan gasket

-valve cover gaskets

-rear main seal

-front crankshaft-pulley seal

-new pilot bearing in flywheel, new clutch

-EGR eliminated/welded up

-carb gasket & water pump gasket

-engine bay/crossmember and all cleaned up so no more grease/dirt, etc

all parts that were not brand new were out of low use '86 car in awesome condition and original parts, that car has about 143K on the gauges- but has a tow-bar setup welded behind the front bumper and was towed much of its total miles I believe behind an RV.

I already know the shifter is going to be tight no shifter slop, so that's nice.

Car will get many other new parts coming together, balljoints & tie rod ends & shocks & reman'd axles & new rotors & different rebuilt calipers & new brake pads. I just need to build the rest of new custom exhaust once everything else in installed in the car again, and car will be very nice basically driving like a completely different car than what I've just put 25K miles on during the past year

It drives w/ dual range working! :) '84 Engine & trans seem good. Taking it to get aligned in the morning, and then I can finish out the exhaust which is 3/4 the way done exiting behind the cat now, LOUD as hell sounds awesome.

I'll post some good pictures

still need to get you more pictures,

going to do more work on it today

The car is listed up on local classifieds: *edit*

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=20877918&cat=656

$100 off price for members here, $2,500 / $3,100 depending on wheels/tires.

Yes Peugeot 15" alloys with almost new Goodyear tires are available for $600 to anyone who wants them, 4X140 lug

It is what it is, very re-built re-done car to be driven hard and abused still, will last a very long time, fair price considering all invested and how close to a more polished finish product it is to being now.

Edited by TajMan

• 2 weeks later...
Digging that Brat-stache.

:D

Someone should buy it off me

if not maybe I'll run it sometimes on my light blue '86 that I'm keeping for now

Here is a vid, doing all my work alone by hand its tough sometimes, rolling cars in-out of my shed by hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3wQ7aIL5Xo&feature=youtu.be

(I washed out the '86 engine bay with no engine/trans/cross-member installed in there)

• 3 weeks later...

My custom parts all seem to mount up in the '86 with the 5-speed DR trans!

-custom driveshaft the correct length

-shifter & 4WD shifter modified correctly

-trans crossmember w/ trans mounts bolted up

-Custom TOB solution, feels like a normal working clutch

Only waiting for some brake caliper rebuild kits on friday, otherwise its all ready to finish coming together & drive.

I need to assemble the front axles/suspension still, and I need to weld up my new exhaust- I'm using a factory Subaru Y-cat-converter.

What I REALLY need is a full lock set with ignition & keys & both door locks for a 2G Brat..

good luck finding a lock set for your brat i have 5 keys for my 85: doors, ignition, gas tank, glove box, and ignition. i could make it have 2 keys (have full extra set from 86 wrecked brat i tore apart) but if someone tried to break into my car they would be screwed with all the different locks especially with the locking steering wheel that im going to put the anti-theft bar on:headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

would you by any chance have a tailgate for sale? Mine got destroyed when a cement truck back into...or shall I say over...my truck bed. Please let me know...I live in Garland Texas..not sure how to get it here, new at restoring.

thanks, Chris

yes I have an extra tailgate, I only need to keep one.

So one of mine was technically a '84 and one on my '86 that needs a slight bit of body repair at the rear of my truck bed (the tailgate is fine). both light blue, the '86 I'd probably get rid of would just need minor body-paint work on the tailgate.