Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to find a balance with my choke

So i finally have been adjusting my choke. I closed it up and it starts actually now. and on a dime. But was restricting when driving. So i opened it more and it started and drove pretty well, some chugs every once in awhile. So i just drove home (7min drive) and checked the choke plates when i got home and they werent all the way open. engine temp said warm.

So shouldn't they be vertical and all the way open? So I opened the choke till the were vertical, but then I get a problem where when WOT from Idle the car bogs, and or dies? So what do I do about this?

Choke should be fully open on a warm engine. It really should be full open before engine reaches operating temp. I can't give you an exact temp or time on that though.

Disty timing could have an effect on your bog. Play around some with the base timing. Stock is 8*BTDC, but you can run with more advance with the Weber.

I've had the same Weber setup on 3 different engines, all of which liked a different timing setting.

Does the vacuum advance unit on your disty work properly?

Accelerator pump could cause a bog also. May have to adjust it's linkage.