Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alright, so I'm jumping on the frankenmotor band wagon. I was given a free 2.5 block and since I've always wanted to rebuild a motor I'm going to rebuild the shortblock and my ej18 heads that I'll be using. I've heard some horror stories about ACL bearings and I'm now weary about using them. I found some clevite bearings on rockauto.com for $31. Seems a little cheap, are they any good?

And on my heads the rocker assembly seems to be missing one of the spring wave washers. I can't for the life of me find a replacement. Where can i find some? Or could I put a regular washer there as a shim?

the 1.8 heads are small valves whould use the 2.2 heads the washer whould be pickapart item mind you i have dozens of those heads i'm triping over dayly clevite berrings are top notch no problems ive seen sent out dozens of motors with clevite berrings make shure you only use subaru seals and orings on bottom end very important to get a good sealing

Horror stories about ACL? Possibly someone's inexperience being blamed on a product. I'm no expert but I know GD builds engines with them on a regular basis. If he uses them they are good bearings.

Anyway like ivan said, 1.8 ports and valves are too small, get 2.2 heads, and roller rockers with SLAs. They'll have to be adjusted periodically but are less headache than dealing with HLAs if you run reground cams from delta.

The intake valves on the heads i have are 31mm, the exhaust valves are 28mm. These are dual exhaust port heads and each port measures 1 3/8. What do the ej22 heads measure? I did a gasket match to improve the flow a little, but with delta torque cams this won't be a high rpm motor.

the 1.8 heads are small valves whould use the 2.2 heads the washer whould be pickapart item mind you i have dozens of those heads i'm triping over dayly clevite berrings are top notch no problems ive seen sent out dozens of motors with clevite berrings make shure you only use subaru seals and orings on bottom end very important to get a good sealing

Would you be willing to part with a couple of those washers?

Anyway like ivan said, 1.8 ports and valves are too small, get 2.2 heads, and roller rockers with SLAs. They'll have to be adjusted periodically but are less headache than dealing with HLAs if you run reground cams from delta.

we didn't get roller rockers with SLA's here.

The EJ18 heads he's got should have rollers, but hydro adjusters.

My Rockers are Roller/Hydro.

I'd like to put this ej18/22 head debate to an end. Are they the same or are they not the same? I mentioned the valve and port sizes on my heads. Does anybody have any ej22 dual port heads to measure? I do know that the single port heads have bigger valves, right? Maybe that's causing the confusion.

Also, I need a source for the oem o-rings that go in between the block halves. I'm going to call my local dealer tomorrow, but is there a place online to get them without buying a whole gasket set.