Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outback

1-3-2-4

I've never actually seen a 2nd gen postal in person, quite a few of the mail carriers around here used 1st gens till they fell apart and switched to wranglers.

I'd love to get ahold of a 2nd gen and swap it lol.

lol I never knew they had 1st gen postal wagons

ever time I see the car I just think so many people would want that car to do a swap on ha

So my knock sensor code must of been for old fuel, the fuel in the car was about 4 months old.. I did at some point in time add 4 gal of fuel but no set time..

It's been about 200 miles now after fresh fuel and the knock sensor code has not come back, also I fixed the EVAP system code by cutting the proper length vacuum hose and that was it!

Nice!

Yesterday I took the car on one of it's first longest drive after the transplant, went to Hartford and that was a good 87 miles one way, a friend was going to give me all these parts for free since he knew I was building my engine up, pretty nice of him since i saved a bunch of money, I had the same headers on my '95 Legacy but it got totaled so I knew pretty much the headers were no good after that.

6lv2.jpg
dgv6.jpg
nejn.jpg

Installed the UEL headers today funny thing was someone stole my stock headers, I put them down in the snow in front of my car facing away from the apartments, and I came back like 10 min later after warming my hands and they were gone! LOL OH well saves me the hassle of getting rid of them. Anyways you can feel the lower end torque now and sounds good.

Ran out of daylight to rotate my tires and fix the timing on the passenger exhaust, also I do have to replace the valve cover gaskets again it's leaking at a good enough rate that I need to keep up with the oil levels.

lol I just had to laugh when I saw it missing, I know people watched me drop the engine in with the lift, one of the workers at the apartment owns a WRX so at first they did not know who's engine lift that was chained up, but he was telling me that he told his boss I think I know the owner of the lift is.

At least they saved me a run to the dump lol, I still gotta get the 25d shortblock out of the wagon, I just don't feel like messing with it at the moment (making wrist pin puller) and so on

I've been using a 1/4" round bar, about 2 foot long, and knocking the pins out from the opposite side. You can get at it just right between the opposing rod and the pin hole and knock it out with any hammer. So much easier than the old modified battery j hook and cheepo slide hammer lol.

• Like 1

Seems like she has good pull and smooth power delivery.

Oh and I have to retract my statement about never seeing a second gen postal wagon. I passed one this morning going to get some parts lol.

Yeah it's real smooth just have to work out the little small things like the valve cover oil leak, man i want to hit the mountains but geeez man this weather is crazy.. kinda looking forward to spring now :-/ trying to put my headers on when it was 18 F outside i had to take so many breaks with work gloves on I still had frostbite.

haha what color was the postal wagon?

I feel you there, I've had enough winter this year. Me and a buddy went and got him some doors for his 97gt and me a scooped hood, the high was 16 and while we were getting the parts it dumped about 3 inches of snow on our heads.

This one was classic white, we were rolling down the highway, him half asleep in the passengers seat and I just started yelling "postal POSTAL POSTAL" I honestly think for a second he thought I wanted to murder someone, then he saw the wagon lol.

• Like 1

ha I've only brake checked once but that's because the person behind me was almost less then one second away from my rear.. After I did the check it went up to 5 seconds.

I hate when you have to reset the ECU on the car, is it just me or does the car use a bunch of gas for like the first 50 miles? I might get around to rotating the tires today it's going to be 40 they say this weekend.

2013-03-16191721_zpse1a99bc8.png

Love the outback thread, I wish I could've kept mine but we had to finish remodeling our kitchen and we needed the money. Someday I will get another one and I will be keeping an eye on your thread, you've done a great job man, can't wait to see more!