Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outback

1-3-2-4

^man I would love to have a outback that clean! I have a huge rust issue on the passenger side rear door area where that stupid black plastic part is.. I hope I can shape some metal to wield on that area.

Anyways I'm going to start building this MSD coil kit, I just need to run to home depot to get some longer bolts, need to still order valve cover gaskets and everything so far is going good.

too tired today to do the timing, still trying to check where that coolant leak is.. I can only think it's a hose or i forgot to put a hose clamp on near where the IAC is, it only leaks when the system is full, Changed the oil yesterday.

Any tips on getting to the knock sensor? LOL last time I had a very hard time getting the bolt onto the sensor.. I remember dropping it and having a hard time trying to fish it out, the way the 25D's intake manifold is makes it harder..

I was thinking maybe some glue on the end of the bolt head so I can at least thread the bolt in.

Haha that's hilarious! Sounds like a typical subaru guy, it's rather terrifying if you were to wreck and that thing came flying at or around your face!

lol funny you should say that I had to come to a hard stop the other day and that was my first thought.. just glad my tool bag was zipped up at the time.

I'm going to try using the bar to get the wrist pins out for the pistons

LOL you can tell I'm a newbie at this.. I did not know the pins for the pistons were so visible after you take the circlips off.. I expected them to look a bit different.. lol

Anyways I took some video of that #2 piston on the Ej25d block, it must be at least 5 mm of play on the crankshaft.. took the oil pan off and it looked like glitter :P

I will keep Piston #1 as a keepsake

Anyone know what size the bolts are that are where the water jackets are? I thought it would be 14 mm 12 point but it's smaller.. maybe 10?

Also redid the timing on my hybrid motor and holy crap does it pick up after 3K.. It feels better in that range than the Ej25d IMHO, it spins up faster it just feels so good! I found my coolant leak which did not take too long to find as soon as I started the car up I guess the screw band was not tight enough so it would leak right on the block and the headers and made a nice smoke cloud.

Videos in a few since I need to head out.

Well? Today is yesterdays tomorrow, did you finish up that starter? I had full intentions of installing a hitch on my car after work today, yet I arrived and had not the slightest amount of motivation. Perhaps tomorrow. But only if this baby stays in thy wife a little longer.

Connecticut we have at least 24 inches total so far. . I have to do it today because I stalled on a hill and was unable to start it again.. because yesterday was so light in traffic I just parked in the middle of a heavy road hit the starter and that was it

ha 60 is nice!

Here is the starter repair

I took the pistons out of the Ej25, turns out I had a long drill bit.. like 15 inches long and it was 1/4" pins came out real easy.

Now I had to order online a 12mm 12 pt thin wall socket because no stores here had one that was thin enough to get to the bolts where the water jackets are.