Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outback

1-3-2-4

Man I keep forgetting to update here lol, a bit has happened.. over late summer I got bad rod knock, pretty much everything was fine until I got off the ramp and clutched in and the car stalled.. fast forward 3 months later I'm still down due to weather and needing a friend to help me go grab a engine..

So I got the engine (EJ22) in which has 192K on it but since I was doing a turbo project next year I started doing a bit of small things, I will be using the Cometic gaskets as I will be bolting my EJ25D heads to the EJ22 they are the only gaskets that have the correct coolant ports.

I will be sending my injectors out to be cleaned and flow tested.. meanwhile I sand blasted the coolant crossover pipe and used my leftover powder I have from my wheels and I sand blasted the intake manifold and used the color hotsy red winkle finish for the color.

also sand blasted the battery hold down and powder coated that as well, and replaced both engine mounts.

Things went smooth until the stupid coolant bolt snapped when screwing in.. by the time I knew something was wrong and tried to back out it just snapped :(

This time I will be using a oil pressure sensor this time around.

OH! and I replaced the stock shifter, I still have the shifter from my 95 Legacy which got totaled and the shifter from the Outback.. I ended up getting a shifter from a '05 WRX I just need to replace the shift boot next, which I will do at a later date when it warms up a bit more.. I sure do miss my car :(

z3kt.jpg
igp4.jpg
uy2h.jpg
ce4k.jpg
5lex.jpg
rep8.jpg
5eel.jpg
fvbg.jpg
fn4n.jpg
73ob.jpg
egln.jpg
92qj.jpg
f977.jpg
lxqk.jpg
2rkq.jpg
zp03.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Working on and off, but around next week or so (weather permitting) I should be dropping in the Ej22e hybrid and starting her up! Seeing it sit for almost 4 months is painful.. but while it was down I got to to a few things and replace things that would of otherwise been put off for a bit.

I also got the engine heater plug out my other hex socket I had which was $10 each rounded out.. but a cheaper set worked out well with my cordless impact wrench.

So here are the pictures I have now.

63he.jpg
mpx0.jpg
eoyh.jpg
do5o.jpg
vrwm.jpg
uqu8.jpg
72v7.jpg
6lpt.jpg
z3kt.jpg
41d5.jpg

Crap job wont let me take off tomorrow so hopefully I can be done delivering by 12 and get home by 2 pm..

Meanwhile I decided to take the heads off

7k22.jpg
5gbu.jpg

In it's place will be my '97 DOHC cams to somewhat lower the compression a little bit since in the summer I plan on doing a build.. you can already see how much thicker the cylinder walls are.

Ahhh cylinder 3 has some surface rust which I had a feeling at least one of them would have it.

75u5.jpg
7d4z.jpg
v6qw.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

To make things easy you can find sites that sell the line and the plug as a kit as well.. around $25 I think it was, I'm about to hook the jump starter up to make sure the gauge is all set then just wire in the sender tomorrow.. speaking of that that reminds me I need to get some smaller heat shrink tubing.

LOL the gauge works but I forgot when you turn the key to on it primes the fuel lines.. and I had nothing connected to the hose so it was pouring all over my motor I have to take out haha I was sitting in the car thinking what the hell is that sound.

It should be super easy to pull the motor it's sitting bare in the engine bay and just need to remove all the bolts that mount it to the transmission and crossmember.

i ended up getting a new hose at the auto store for the coolant throttle body as it was getting a little soft, going to have to do the same for the fuel but when it gets warmer..

I've been documenting pretty much the whole time I've done this so when everything is done I will put it all as one video

It's taken me a little longer then I had planned, I got sidetracked plus we had really record cold weather and snow :(

The worst was I had just put my engine lift back in storage about 8 miles from where the car is now.. so I need my friend with his minivan to fetch it for me lol

Out of all this happy I got my Milwaukee 1/2" cordless impact wrench, it was $268 well spent way better then my Ni-cad batteries at least this one does not lack in power for sure

LOL having said that it would of been insane to just drop this engine in and run it, that cylinder would of screwed up the rings bigtime..

Anyways this will be part one, the more serious stuff will be more around the summer... piggyback engine management and all

Still don't know how that new Aisin water pump had no thermostat gasket in the box.. I ended up having to buy one for almost $7

Wow well it was a slow start.. my friend was back and forth between his
job and helping me.. I did get the ej25 out and cylinder 2 is where the
bearing is bad.. in the video you will see, when the piston is at TDC
you have some pretty big play in the piston in which it's able to be
pushed down.

As of right now I have the two short blocks in the
back of the car it sucks rump roast that its dark around 4:30 PM however that
did not stop me from doing what I needed to do, in the morning I will
get around to putting the heads on..

Now about those heads.. well
long story sort I have a total of 3 sets of heads, the set I took off
was the heads I got from a guy from PA, the cam cap bolt bound in the
hole and snapped! I was like %^$%^&^ So I have another set of heads
in storage but one has bent valves which I think is the passenger side
(The side that has broken bolt) SO now I need to double check to make
sure and if it's bent then I need to swap valves over and check valve
clearance.. So that's what really slowed me down tonight which really
sucked.

1lok.jpg
4t1v.jpg
1woh.jpg

Haha funny you did that, I was going to ask what the highest pressure you've seen from the motor was, I was debating between 80 or 100 psi guages. The adapter piece should be here in the next day or two from prosport.

Have you gotten to take a test drive with the new motor yet?

Haha funny you did that, I was going to ask what the highest pressure you've seen from the motor was, I was debating between 80 or 100 psi guages. The adapter piece should be here in the next day or two from prosport.

Have you gotten to take a test drive with the new motor yet?

Yes I have :) I was getting a code for the knock sensor which I don't know if it's because the gas was 4 months old.. when I moved the knock sensor over it had no cracks and prior to my motor giving out it was already two years old and the ebay sensor kind..

Now I just filled up with fresh fuel so I haven't seen it come back on yet, this morning when it was around 6 F outside I saw it finally went to 90 PSI, but as you see in the video the oil pressure pretty much rises and falls with the rpm, I have a slight coolant leak on the top of the motor, I hope it's not where I put the helicoil in because a little bit of the spring was not laying flat at the time