Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 Subaru BRAT --- PDX

Reza

cleaned up the bed and put a liner on it, fallowed by repainting and clearing the fenderwells.

I'll be bolting down the rollbar tomorrow and actually have a lead on the seat brackets, so hopefully I'll get that all taken care of soon.

DSCI0246.jpg

DSCI0244.jpg

DSCI0243.jpg

DSCI0242.jpg

Edited by Reza

• 2 weeks later...

I found a seat bracket! going to weld it in tomorrow and paint it. also sprayed 2 more coats of matte finish clear coat on the Roo. It's lookin goooood.

DSCI0072.jpg

DSCI0275.jpg

DSCI0274.jpg

before and after

DSCI0069.jpg

DSCI0273.jpg

DSCI0075.jpg

DSCI0272.jpg

I'll be painting the wheels next, also I'm toying with the idea of going a size larger tire in the rear to give it a small rake.

Edited by Reza

I wouldnt put bigger tires on the back.. It'll bind in 4x4 and on snow the back will be going faster than the front...it will drift like a rwd. But you could adjust the rear suspension up to give it a rake..

I'm not really interested in taking it out and using it specifically for 4 wheel drive. not a 4x4 guy at all. I think it's a convenient option though to have on a car. In all honesty I'll probably just lower it slightly all the way around.

Will post update soon.

I'm not really interested in taking it out and using it specifically for 4 wheel drive. not a 4x4 guy at all. I think it's a convenient option though to have on a car. In all honesty I'll probably just lower it slightly all the way around.

Will post update soon.

Let me know what you plan to do to lower it. I am in the same boat.

I know you can re-clock the torsion bars in the rear but the front? I am not about cutting coils. But for such an old vehicle it may be the best option?

• 3 months later...
please stop talking about lowering (ruining) a brat. thanks

You're totally right man..... I should lift it and beat the ************ out of it.

I've been in SC the last 3 months and should be back in town in a month and a half to get back to work on it.

In fact, It might be on the market here in the next couple of months If I have to relocate for work.

Edited by Reza

• 3 months later...

okay, went ahead with the swap, was pretty straight forward and simple. I didn't want to spend the $314 on a kit.
I bought a Weber at the pdx swap meet for $100 adapter for $50 from carbsunlimited and a filter and housing for $19 on ebay from some shop in albany OR.

the only hang up I'm having is what to do with the 
"anti dieseling switch" that screws into the old hitachi.

Also what have you guys been using for PCV filters?

Edited by Reza

OK so its ready to roll,

got the weber tuned-
got pcv filters and all the emissions capped off
changed rear oil seal on the transmission
replaced a bad rear tire

clutch was seized to the flywheel from sitting, got it unstuck by starting it in 1st gear.

will post pictures later, getting stoked on it again, but Ill be flying to sweden monday for work, so it will have to sit for another 6 weeks.

AND OF COURSE ITS RAINING!

The  5/8ths PCV 3 bucks at costless
DSCI0293_zpsda2e2a25.jpg
DSCI0294_zps790d0cfc.jpg
used to original throttle lever, just needed to add a spacer to the stem for clearance.
DSCI0296_zpseabf71b5.jpg

Edited by Reza
  • Like 1

Took it on a test drive, Weber purrrs. It has a whole new sound and feel to it. way more response.
DSCI0307_zpsdf64de5b.jpg
DSCI0305_zps218572b4.jpg
DSCI0306_zpsdc8a7b4a.jpg
Next up, swapping a front right cv axle, solder a pinhole in the radiator that developed while sitting.
and PORT AND POLISH a pair of heads.

Update: drove it 10 miles to the other side of town today, no problems what so ever, guess i tuned the carb right the first time. It is a lot sportier than I expected with single muffler exhaust and new weber. so fun.

Edited by Reza

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been in Sweden the last month, still going to be here another 2 weeks.

I saw pooparu listed a set of 8 spoke enkei wheels, I'm definitely going to be going that route. need to find 13s
Looking for some gen1 headrests for the jump seats
replacing the transmission mounts - bought off rock auto #1040894
replacing the front valance with a cherry one I bought at a picknpull

It has positive camber right now, going to fix that. guess how?

• 4 weeks later...

Found a 1981 ea81 Brat on row52.com so I drove 327 miles and 6 hours to santa rosa CA to pull some parts. Got a set of jumpseat seat belts and a seat frame. Missed out on the headrests. Car is still there has a good canopy top. windsor ca. picknpull.IMG_0019_zps9d2cdbc8.jpg
IMG_0018_zps2713722f.jpgbratinjunkyardsantarosa_zps38e69697.jpg

Yeah, I have been very busy with work, from the east coast to sweden, to monteray CA now. In between time I've had good time to wrench. The weber swap was the easiest automotive thing I've done. I capped off everything and used breathers on my valve covers. just dive in, you'll have no trouble. Im going to get the 91 s10 air filter housing and weber adapter to route cool air into the intake. if you have any specific questions give me a pm and ill get back to you