Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat seats

Here's a question for you older brat guys how leagal do you think it is to let kids ride in back seats ? I have been leting my kidds ride in back but worys me that could get pulled over and fined. The laws here are very strict and whuold not whant to be stuck on side of road with kidds. I took the old brat to car show on weekend and it made for a good topic half the people said it was ileagal other half said it was ok but none actualy knew i'm the subaru athority around here and i dont know I will ask are local rcmp and see what they think. Any of you brat drivers have any ideas ?

I live in Michigan, and I let my daughter ride in the back, as long as I'm not getting on the highway. Around town, I don't think it's a problem (and legal with seat belts) but I don't think it's safe (or even smart for that matter) to be going 70-75 with an 8 year old in the back. Just my 2 cents!

mine has the seats with the roll bar looks the same as the last one but the 12 year olds head sticks up about 4 inch above it. I make him wear a helmet but still looks dangerus i know here in BC you are not alowwed any pasengers in rear of trucks and no seatbelt is a fine. The brat seems to be a gray area as it was the only pu that came with seats in back. The only thing thats even close is a tracker convertable with rear seats and i whould deafanatly feel safer in the brat than a tracker rear seat. I will ask the local police what they think as the laws are decided by them.

hes 5ft 2 and deaf so at least he whont loose his hearing riding back there. I asked ICBC about it they dident know so asked the RCMP they sent me to there head trafic cop he dident know so he whent to subaru dealer and looked at pictrures of brat. He said that as long as has a DOT aproved roll bar and factory seats and seatbelts { seats must face backwards ] [and must have roll bar ] shouldent be ilegal. He could not give us a defanate yes or no he said he will call the head of the comertial trafic superviser and ask. I got his interest so hes going to look into it more he actualy remembers the brats from back in the day

If it was legal at the time of production, it has to be legal...at least for adults anyway. I bet you could get a ticket for violating local child restraint laws somehow. I had no seatbelts in my 55 fairlane, and that was legal because it was that way from the factory and legal at the time of production.

I did hear back from the DOT they said is good no problem they sugested not good for adult use but not ileagal the question whent right to head office and they had a discution on it anyway all good. Was bumed thogh my old brat was turned down for colector plates because it has some chips in paint and the front valance is missing some paint is bummer i did not what to repaint it i like its personality and patina