Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem programming Subaru remote--Success!

:D:burnout:Got a new daily driver this past weekend. A 2002 Impreza Outback Sport. Of course it only came with one remote and one key. So first thing I did was have a master key cut from the VIN and buy a second remote. Turns out the original square remote has been replaced by a tear-dropped shaped one with the programming instructions which are the same as for the square one.

I can't program it. After all the initial instructions to get the car into the programming mode, the horn should blow once to indicate the program mode is active and then you press each button one at a time. When done remove the ignition key and the horn will blow three times to indicate the program mode is ended. Trouble is not with the remote, but with the car since it never blows the horn to indicate you're in the programming mode. Anyone have a similar issue and how did you fix it?

picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=3679

Edited by edrach

Thanks, I have the Alpine system and the instructions here are similar but slightly different from what is in the link you supplied. I'm beginning to think I have the wrong remote (mine has the third button for the trunk and the directions only show that for the "keyless" remote which I shouldn't have). I'll look into that some more.

These are the instructions I have (slightly different from the Joe Spitz posting). http://subaruonlineparts.com/pdf/subaru-remote-programming-instructions.pdf

Edited by edrach

I had problems programming the remotes for my car also Ed. I think the problem I had was either with the timing of the 10 ignition cycles or starting the sequence. I think I finally got the programming to work by first starting the car and shutting it off. Hoping that would reset things. Then I followed the procedures you have. I don't remember using the brake but it has been some time since I did it. Moving the key back and forth in one second intervals might help.

I had problems programming the remotes for my car also Ed. I think the problem I had was either with the timing of the 10 ignition cycles or starting the sequence. I think I finally got the programming to work by first starting the car and shutting it off. Hoping that would reset things. Then I followed the procedures you have. I don't remember using the brake but it has been some time since I did it. Moving the key back and forth in one second intervals might help.
I'm still without success. I re-read the directions and it said turn the key "on and off" and I realized I was counting my 10 steps starting with the ignition off and counting the first step at on. So I tried it with the ignition on and counting each step with the key off and ending the 10 steps with the ignition off instead of on. Still no success. I called my youngest son and he claims he can do it. I'll catch up with him tomorrow and maybe have more success.

accessing programming mode in my 01 outback is tricky. it took me several trys to get it but i finally did.

i followed the cars101 instructions. i don't remember the details, but it is complicated. i do remember learning , if you screw up, you have to wait before you try again. so i started trying it every time i got in the car. i finally got it.

my system has ''lost'' the remote programming a couple of times, i think after the battery was disconnected for an extended period. i don't remember this happening in my 97 obw.

good luck.

If you mess up the sequence I think starting and turning off the engine will reset things. I'm not sure if you have to remove the key but that may have to be done also. Perhaps the brake has to be used to make this work. I will try to check my manual and see what it says about it.

It's a long shot, but are the batteries in your new remote OK?

You should be able to pry the case apart and then measure the battery voltage.

I did check to see that the battery was actually there and ready to go since the remote was bought new from the dealer. I don't think the remote has any interaction with the car, until the car signals that it's in programming mode by blowing the horn once.

Ed,

What is odd is that from the cars 101 page linked above, your 2002 should have had the square remote with the colored buttons. Also the teardrop version shown as a replacement doesn't have the trunk release button as your new one shown, purchased from the dealer. My 2000 Legacy had the grey buttons and in-law's 2002 had the colored buttons.

You stated in your first post that you can't get the car's system into program mode. I don't recall that this procedure requires any input from the remote at this stage, so then, any discussion about having the correct remote and working battery is a distraction.

While there is something about programming up to 4 remotes so it could be possible that all 4 positions are "occupied", your problem appears to be about sequencing to get into programming and not the new remote (that might come later if you are truly unlucky).

Here's a link to some other interpretations of this odd dance that SOA subjects us to:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/interior-mods/66863-subaru-keyless-remote-programming-instructions.html

Edited by brus brother

My genius kid got it the first try! Two tricks: You need to be superfast doing the 10 on/off cycles with the key. I thought I was doing it in 10 seconds, he did it in 5 and the car beeped and we were almost done. One click on the remote, remove the key, 3 more beeps and it was all over.

The trick to doing it quickly is to avoid the "hitch" in the middle. When you turn off the ignition, there's a step (hitch) half-way to off where you have to push in on the key to turn it off all the way. So, the 2nd trick is to push in while you're turning off to get past the hitch quickly enough to get the 10 cycles done in well under 10 seconds.

By the way, JRach works for a tuning shop in the Green Lake area of Seattle. He does Subaru primarily but can work on almost anything. Drop me a PM if you want to know where (that's enough of a plug I feel I can give you posting on an open board). (Moderators can remove this if I've violated any rule---you won't hurt my feelings:)).

Just finished upgrading my daughters 02 Legacy sedan to keyless entry. Took all of 20 minutes:clap: and about $50 worth of parts from Ebay.

First couple of tries I couldn't get the fob to program. Thought I had screwed it up but tried again. The key to success is that you have to follow the process in the owners manual EXACTLY.

1. Open the drivers door, sit in drivers seat.

2. Close drivers door.

3. Put key in ignition and cycle to on 10 times within 15 seconds.

4. Horn beeps once.

5. Within 45 seconds open drivers door, close drivers door, push any button on the fob. Horn beeps twice.

6. Repeat #5 for any other fobs up to four.

7. Remove key from ignition. Horn beeps three times.

In my case I had the key IN the ignition first, then opened and closed the drivers door. That doesn't work. You have to open/close the drivers door BEFORE you put the key in the ignition. As I said above follow the instructions exactly.

So the teardrop remotes work where the squarish remote with gray buttons was standard? Like in my '99 OBW? :popcorn:
When I called the parts guy I deal with at Subaru, he indicated that the square version was no longer available and replaced by the tear drop version. Operationally they are identical.

• 2 years later...

I recently programmed my 06 subaru impreza outback sport. I had a difficult time of it at first until I realized that my chirping device that is placed beside the horn is inoperative.

So I just followed the steps in the user manual without the aid of the chirp to let me know i was in programming mode. Took one or two tries but it finally worked.

I thought I should share this because there are alot of subarus with inoperative chirps and programming them at home may seem impossible. I thought I was going to wear out my ignition trying to make it work.

Hope this information is helpful for someone.

Here is a link to fix the chirp first before you try to program :)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1791725

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a similar issue. My car came with 2  KARR FCC ID ELVAT5H key fobs. The arm/dis button wore out on one, so I purchased a replacement, but can't program it. I followed the process in the manual (same as wirelessenabledsuccessfully getting into the program mode (one beep) and finished step 5 within 30 sec, but got no double beep indicating that the fob was programmed. The new fob lights when the buttons are pressed, but is not recognized by the car. I tried again to program the working old fob with no double beep to indicate that it was reprogrammed. It still works. I assume that the codes on these fobs all unique? Are certain codes fixed in the system? I don't understand how the old fobs were programmed originally but can't be reprogrammed now.