Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Meet Margaret, the 1987 GL Sedan!

l75eya

Ha that Ames monument is right by where i currently reside! Instead of going south on that roaf i usually go under I-80 and go through Vedauwoo (Rock formations next to the interstate) if i wouldve known you then we couldve met up! May 13' is right after i moved to this wind swept zone. Margo will like that new tranny!

Funny you mention OEM Subaru parts, I have to make a call today for my car, so I'll ask about your clutch cable while doing so. If you haven't found it, that is.

Otherwise, ring Brewster Subaru. I know they had a good number of cables for both transaxles about two years ago when I replaced mine, but stated they keep them at a warehouse since they don't sell often.

Did you want that bumper? I have to run upstate soon for a mail check, tool gather, and proper send off to my previous dwelling. Yo boy got himself the offer to stay at the shop permanently yesterday; so looks like I'm a Lon Gislander again lol

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

And this, my friends, is where the flying Magpie's story comes to a close. Bought with on 46,000 miles on the clock, the final mileage of the GL is as follows:
20150808_113313_zpskdltp3wd.jpeg

Though those nearly 40k miles I got to put on you were peppered with you being out of commission for lengths at a time (stupid wheel hub. Stupid water pump. Stupid carburetor. Stupid rear axle. Stupid wheel bearings.), you always made sure you got me where I had to be *BEFORE* breaking down. And I appreciated that.

When you sat in practical hibernation for 22 years with only 46 thousand miles being driven, you came in to my possession and I promptly loaded you with well past the listed 860lb capacity weight and drove you clear across the country to Nevada. TWICE. Did you break down in the middle of nowhere Utah? Did you leave me stranded in Arizona? Looking for a garage in New Mexico? No you didn't. You waited until you got me, my stuff, and my loved ones all the way clear back across the country to spill your waterpump bearing guts all over and send the clutch fan into the radiator. You waited until THE DAY AFTER we all got back home. And for that I salute you.

When you unbeknownst to me developed a seriously big rust hole in the fuel filler neck (hey we don't pump our own gas in Jersey) allowing tiny particulates of rock salt and road grime to fling up the wheel well into said hole and into your fuel system, you let me know by barely ever running, and when running, running very rough, but by some stroke of miraculous-ness the one week I needed you to get me out to Pennsylvania, you were there for me. You ran perfectly for that ONE week, got me through 500+ miles of round trip highway driving, and THEN - not until I was back home - decided it was time to give up the ghost.

And after all of my efforts to keep you going, fixing one thing only for three more to break, and then fixing them too, I was JUST about to re-do your entire fuel system, when I noticed the underbody rot had gotten exponentially worse from the last time I really took a good look.

And then it was time to make the hard decision to give up on keeping you going, but to utilize you to keep others going, and now that I think of it, every vehicle you donated parts to was a 93 Loyale....
Ben got your front clip
20150712_120358_zpsna4nfvce.jpg

User superpoo93 was super excited to be receiving your heart (and marks the THIRD time your ea82 engine will be in Nevada, only this time on it's own)
20150806_195054_zpsfryo56yh.jpeg
20150807_195636_zpsqjbtasvq.jpeg
20150808_111820_zpstvxcsimj.jpeg

Your successor, the infamous Tin Can got all of your luxurious GL amenities;
The trunk light
The ashtray light
Your trunk lid and ALL of your body mouldings
20150620_140537_zpspdp7knkq.jpg
Your fogs
DSCN2532_zpsye2qh8xf.jpg
and switch!
20150813_180400_zps5ubzznps.jpg
Your Map-lights
20150813_180328_zps8ogk5udj.jpg
Your foot rest and floor mats (Why Loyales don't have these is beyond me...)

20150813_180449_zpsm6o5xudn.jpg

Your full length Arm rests
20150813_180333_zpsolcmzgea.jpg

...but one thing I couldn't take off of you was your soul. And I will miss you, little buddy.

Farewell.

20150813_121802_zpsjb63a9ki.jpg

20150813_132250_zpsfxbkoxql.jpg

20150813_132332_zpsjjb4ia8f.jpg

20150813_132351_zpsf9wtuwtw.jpg

20150813_132438_zpsg1aedchs.jpg

----------------------

20150813_132615_zps8f2nww41.jpg

Fin.