Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru brat 1985 restoration

turbosubarubrat

• 2 weeks later...

went to goldendale washington with my dad today which turned into a hording trip :) i got every thing off a 80 hatch back that was made in september so i got the radiator support cut off halfway throught the battery tray on both sides, grill, third eye, bezals, bumper, chrome skide plate thing, head lights, 2 third eye switches, tan chrome door crank handles, glove box mirror, third eye relay, and a rare emblem that says "1800 4wd" all for $50 plus the guy at the junk yard cut out the support :headbang: never seen a radiator support cut out the way he did but it worked. he used gas powered chop saw with like a 12 inch blade.

People don't usually willingly go to Goldendale, but I imagine if there's a junkyard trip involved, it might be worth it!

Did you go to that one north of town or just some guy's backyard?

my dad has a cabin up there so we head up there every once in a while. went to the actual junkyard but if you drive long enough you could find one in some ones backyard :lol:. we actually have gotten alot of subaru's around there a 86 brat in benjen(bad spelling), 78 brat in the dallas, 78 brat in goldendale, 83 turbo wagon in hood river, 91 loyale in goldendale, and a ea82 wagon in golden dale.  the people that work at the junkyard are very nice and very resonable on prices :) so you dont fill like your getting screwed like at pick'n pull

Where's the cabin?  I went to high school in Goldendale, may have known the people you got the cars from there.  

I know a guy that apparently spends a large portion of his time at that yard, but I've never been through the front door. 

the cabin is a couple miles past the place where they have been building a truck stop for years but have not finished and the place where they have dug rock out of the side of a hill. there is a burgondy ea82 wagon lifted a little with the H style rims that is a little off the road just down that dirt road is are cabin. i dont know if steve jackson sounds familiar but he has a place on the same road and gets around a lot. we got a the 78 brat from goldendale from matt chiles.

Man, Matt's name keeps coming up!  I never met him when I lived there but he lived a couple miles down the road from me, and my (different) hobbies keep having his name pop up, I'm going to email him and ask him if he has anything else that is slated for my future.  I think I knew a Steve, if he was a tall guy with long grey hair, but not likely.

Truck stop doesn't sound familiar, there's the gas station closer to the river, and a couple on the edge of town that are a little larger, but I don't know of any projects.  Then again, I haven't been over there for about 2 years.

pm if you dont have his number i take it your into legos or something ;). better discription would be it on the exact opisite side of town. its on the way up the road from klicatat that had no guard rail on it for years(few years ago they put guard rail in) and if you follow that road till you see a stop sign you turn left and a couple miles down the road is are cabin.

i will do a pic update sometime this week because i have a few to show. my dad still is thinking about getting getting the ea81 and 4 speed dual range out of the hatchback for $100 so a another trip might be in order plus if we head up im getting another set of hubs to six lug convert or spares.

Edited by turbosubarubrat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Haven't really done anything but picked up 2 ramsey 5k winchs for $40 at the junkyard a couple of weeks ago. They do not have controllers, roller fairleads, plate, and  some wiring is missing. They came in a scrap load out of some ones garage. went to one of my dads friends houses and the guy looked at one and said its never been used :headbang: and the other one was was lightly used which he cleaned the motor and got both winches going without controllers :) . right now i have one ready for a remote and the other is very close.

945383_298749913593487_92176763_n.jpg?oh270059_298749983593480_1208010561_n.jpg?

249147_298750120260133_1732514124_n.jpg?296170_298752243593254_94290339_n.jpg?oh

I had a Ramsey 4500 on my BRAT. Worked awesome. I'd love to get another winch sometime soon, but those deals don't happen around here.

im happy with mine too and these deals dont happen often especially with winches because they usually are shot when scrapped but i have found some really great deals lately, i found the same pro 5000 on craigslist for $300 and a 6k on ramseys website for $1000 :grin: . i plan on making a front reciever for the winch  that will bolt to where the factory winch was but if i dont like that im going to see if i can even get a winch this big to fit in the bumper(im not mounting to top since i will have the 82 third eye setup). which i dout highly because a harbor freight 3k winch  doesn't line up at all and your not supposed to mount upside down :rolleyes:.

• 2 months later...

got it :grin: (pics soon) its a 83 dl and has sat for 10 plus years (tags expired in 2003) so its rusty and non reparable :( has no title so what is not not useable is getting chopped and scrapped. when i say its rusted its rusted, the tail gate fell off and was hanging by the top two hinges, rockers are completly gone, the rails are cruchy, doors are rusted out at the bottom, the bed has a board over it since its rusty, the hooks support in the rear almost ripped off when pull it onto the trailer so we had to put the chains on the torsion bar. i got a bunch of parts in the cab but i wont find out what all i got untel i get back from vication in ashland and can tear it down <_< im glad i got my rump roast down there since he was going to tell the escavator operator to put it in the construction dumpster tommorrow :o he bought the place with it on there and hes getting a new house built on the property. also got a nice air paint gun for free which cost 60-70 bucks thats from harbor that i plan i trying out(i already have a old craftsman that i got over a year ago). 

if you dont mind me asking where did you acquire those pug lug adapters? 

i think ebay but im not sure since i got them a while ago, they only cost like $16 or $18 shipped. i can check when i get back home since im out of town until tommorrow. i can tell you it  is way better than paying $90 for a set of lug nuts plus you dont have to swap out your lug nuts if you want to go between steel and aluminum rims.

hey man looks great! im working on a 79 BRAT, you wouldn't happen to have a late 70's tail gate or left tail light laying around would ya?

wish i did. i dont really have that many 1st gen parts since there hard to find. im working on 2 78's and a 79 so all the first gen parts i have came with them so i need them to put them back together.

Just did power windows in my 83 Brat. I used the wiring out of an 84 coupe. I used the complete door off of the coupe and changed the glass rather than install the insides out of them and the wiring is mostly just a sub unit and you may even have the correct plugins already in the Brat. Mine did as well as the plugins for power mirrors.