Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 02 Foz project

Turbone

Picked up my newest Subaru yet, a 02 Forester that had the right front crunched. 167k on it with the cold weather package. Interior is in good shape, the engine still runs good. Paid $1k for it :headbang:

And to top it off, one of the regulars that hangs at Outback Auto where I work had a wrecked 98 Foz with a good front end. He's using the engine/driveline for a swap into a early Leggy and he gave me the parts I needed for the front clip.

Score again!

Heres what it looked like before I started work on it (nice to have it at work where I have all the tools).

IMAG0802.jpg

IMAG0805.jpg

IMAG0804.jpg

IMAG0803.jpg

So the first thing to do was get the front radiator core support removed.

Thankfully the airbags didnt deploy, but I was sure being careful when I had to mess with the sensor on the corner. It was actually stuck between bent metal, I can believe it didnt activate the airbags.

IMAG0807.jpg

IMAG0809.jpg

IMAG0808.jpg

IMAG0810.jpg

IMAG0811.jpg

Edited by Turbone

I pulled of the broken timing belt covers and charged the battery to make sure the car ran. I wasnt going to do to much work before I knew if it was a runner or not. Even with the intake removed and no radiator etc, it fired right up. So besides the timingbelt and pulleys (that I will replace) the power steering pulley was bent, but thats it engine wise.

I bought 24in of 2x4 steel box end and had it cut in half. The plan was to use them as sleeves and so far they are doing the job. Once things were removed from the parts car (with lots of careful and repeated measuring) I was able to see how it was going to fit on the front. It was looking good at first then I noticed the passenger frame rail was bent out by 1.5in. So I shoved my steel sleeves into the ends and hooked up a come-along to each end and cinched it as much as I could. I then heated the frame rail where it had a small buckle and beat on the rail to get it to move. I got it within 1/4in after a fews days of letting it sit so the metal would re-memorize its shape. I had to trim the sleeves for length and then set the front on, I threw a few bolts on the fenders to front clip to hold it while I checked it all out.

Heres a few pics of the frame rail joints with the sleeves in them. I'll weld everything once I make sure its all in line and straight.

Foz3.jpg

Foz4.jpg

Heres the core support on for fitting.

Foz5.jpg

And with the fenders attached and hood down. I had to use the hood from the parts car also.

Foz1.jpg

Foz2.jpg

Edited by Turbone

• 1 month later...

Got some stuff dont today. Still need a few items for the engine....lower rad hose, timing belt cover-left side, mostly misc stuff.

The front end parts arent fitting like I hoped because 98 doesnt mesh with 02 stuff. The bumper skin and hood is from a 98 and the headlights and grill are 02. Still deciding on whether to try and find 02 parts now or later. Might be hard to find a black hood for a 02 :-\ The original headlights are pretty messed up. Passenger side is all broken up and both are real foggy. Going to cost about $100+ to replace both.

Frontendon.jpg