Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SoobNoob in Lakewood

stetjo02

Hey guys. I just got an 86 GL-10 that I'm trying to straighten out a bit. It's got a screwed up lift on it and can hardly move out of the parking spot. It's got some potential, but I am kind of learning as I go about working on it/cars in general. If anyone in the area would like to just take a look at it and give me some advice, it'd be greatly appreciated. A friend and I have changed a steering knuckle, but don't know exactly what the major issue is, as neither of us has much experience. I'm not expecting a free mechanic to come and make this thing perfect or to spend days helping me, but I do provide pizza and beer, and would like to put in most of the wrench time anyway.

Thanks,

Josh

I think it's just the 4wd binding up cuz it pops out of fwd when I shift gears and it's on pavement. Didn't notice it until messing with it

last night. Think I might have to drop the exhaust a bit. The clunking went away in fwd too. There are no marks on the pipe, but looking at it it looks like the connecting points on the shaft would hit it if it were spinning.

Easy fixes I guess haha just had to diagnose it. Who knows what else I'm missing though haha

Edited by stetjo02

If it sounds like the driveline is binding up when your in 4wd but it goes away when in 2wd, try unbolting your carrier bearing in the center and flip it 180 then bolt it back up, it should level out the drive line . I just had a similar problem like that after i lifted my wagon

How big is your lift ?

Well did you go an flip the carrier bearing upside down to see if that was the problem ? I have a 6" on mine so idk how your driveline angle is .

for bleeding the brakes your supposed to start on the tire farthest from the master cylinder, which would be your pass. rear. then driver rear. pass. front then driver front . make sure you dont run the master out of fluid while bleeding or youll just be putting more air into the system .

I tried it just now and it doesn't seem to be possible with the exhaust pipe right there. I believe whoever lifted it put longer bolts and pipe spacers to correct it. There is a slight angle of the middle section, but nothing ridiculous. I really think it's just because it's on pavement when it pops into 4wd. The brakes are my real concern because then I will dare to take it somewhere I can test that theory. Going to rebleed them once I find an assistant.

Sorry if it seems like I am asking for advice and rejecting it lol finally got around to buying a one man brake bleeder... back brakes still wouldn't bleed. I took the line out of the caliper and fluid was flowing... time for a new caliper. Going to look for a serviceable one in the junkyard tomorrow. When looking online I only see front calipers. Are they the same as the rear and only list the front or are the rears not manufactured anymore or something I am missing??

Actually I'm on leave for the next week. So anytime this week would be awesome. The earlier the better so I have more days off to dedicate to it. I think the major issue right now is my 4wd lever popping up when i shift gears. I got some calipers from the junkyard and they are fine, so that issue is fixed. I also got a rear drive shaft put in that doesn't have a mangled center mounting bracket. I'll shoot you my number and you can call or text anytime.