Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 gl 1600 4wd 130k

mikaleda

Pics of center light more to come

BEEBCCDC-8F77-4B62-8A4B-0EB20F3AA2BE-7077-000007A57A55FE14.jpg

14A91A1D-6B25-4D77-9405-F3A7479EAA30-7077-000007A586A71E68.jpg

If anyone knows what wires go to what on the last pic I would appreciate any help the wire colors are red/black, green/white, and green.

I am going to be doing more body work today like straitening the front and back bumpers out better and doing touch up on rust

Edited by mikaleda

Well napa messed up again voltage regulator won't be in till tomorrow. So tired of napa it's not even funny, I live twenty miles from napa it is a pita when they do this to me especially when neither of my cars are running.

Also I plugged in my newly re wired center light and the light came on but the door didn't move. I think the relay is the culprit I think when the motor seized it probably damaged the relay.

Well I'm SOL I checked the passenger side brakes expecting to see a mess I was surprised to see they were worn out but still had pads and were actually in good shape but then I start messing with the cv, and the rear bearings are toast 1/4 inch of slop in all directions

:horse::banghead: not only that It took me an hour to get the car jacked up because both my floor jacks quit working and my bottle jack quit too!!! I finally used a handy man jack :banghead:

Ok this is all the things I can think off that needs to be fixed

brakes all the way around they are all worn out

Rear bearings

Something in the front end hopefully only a bushing

Steering rack

Alternator

I need to change the gear oil in the trans, final drive, and I might as well do the rear end to

This is redicules I can't afford this I need a effing car not a pos that needs hundreds of dollars just to get back on the road this is turning from fix this car into a nice car to total restoration!!!!!!!! I have close to 1,000 bucks in this car already and I still can't drive it.

Not even to mention all the rust I can't even get the drivers side rear axle nut off because its rusted up so bad!!!

• 1 month later...

Well I have been messing around with this car again. I just modified a Chevy alternator (singal wire) I think it's a 65 amp I look it up later and put some pics. I put my double pully on it off of my old alternator and regressed the bearings now I just need to make some brackets to hold it on my engine. I am going to hook it to the auto choke wire (wich is only hot when engine is running) that is the only wiring that I should have to do. Hopefully everything will work out and I will not have to spend a penny on my new alternator :grin:

Nice car. Huge changes in body style and lights, dash, just about everything from my 79. It took me about 5 to 6 years to get mine into the shape it's in now. A lot of long days in the garage during the summer.

Thanks :D yep I have been working on this thing for six months now. It's a major pain in my :horse: lol dang thing is more stubborn than a mule

I just finished putting my new alternator In and same thing is happening :banghead:

Ac ripple and not charging wich I'm sure is not the alts fault I ha it tested and I know it is charging thankfully I didn't spend any money on this swap.

Edited by mikaleda

I got the alternator in it was a tight squeeze but it is working kinda

Pics

063AB9D1-A529-489C-81D6-507746498486-11524-000011979126A083_zpsc79a0c96.jpg

C1845E08-91EA-4FF0-B7D5-F449AC75DC13-11655-000011A31FA3D52F_zpsdfc6dd33.jpg

I'm still having charging problems I even added a new heavier copper wire to the battery but that didn't help either and of course my dash lights are still on :banghead: at least my brackets worked out good

Well this alternator needs to be rebuilt I changed out my battery to block connection with a better wire and then it started over charging.

Damn napa can't get anything right :mad:

Rock Auto online. The alternator is a Hitachi and it's about $50. A rewind will cost you a minimum of $80 if not more. I am looking at new brushes [$5] and a new voltage regulator [$26] to see if my old alternator will be reborn. The windings look good. We'll see what that gets me as a spare.

Rock Auto online. The alternator is a Hitachi and it's about $50. A rewind will cost you a minimum of $80 if not more. I am looking at new brushes [$5] and a new voltage regulator [$26] to see if my old alternator will be reborn. The windings look good. We'll see what that gets me as a spare.

Ya but I want to get away from the externally regulated and get into self contained. I can get an upgraded rebuild kit for this alt for sixty bucks. Also depending on how much trouble this hitachi carb becomes I might just throw a weber on there too. Other than that though I am going to keep it stock suspension and body wise (other than maybe a set of Peugeots) I have a neighbor with like six sets of alloy Peugeot rims on the cars :grin: I have been trying to get him to sell me a set (especially since none of the cars run lol)

Good luck with your car and if all else fails remember to check for corrosion that is becoming a problem with these older cars nowadays :headbang:

Also always check your part numbers on rock auto I have gotten several wrong parts from them

Ya but I want to get away from the externally regulated and get into self contained. I can get an upgraded rebuild kit for this alt for sixty bucks. Also depending on how much trouble this hitachi carb becomes I might just throw a weber on there too. Other than that though I am going to keep it stock suspension and body wise (other than maybe a set of Peugeots) I have a neighbor with like six sets of alloy Peugeot rims on the cars :grin: I have been trying to get him to sell me a set (especially since none of the cars run lol)

Good luck with your car and if all else fails remember to check for corrosion that is becoming a problem with these older cars nowadays :headbang:

Also always check your part numbers on rock auto I have gotten several wrong parts from them

The alternator was spot on. Perfect match.

I have some corrosion on the front fender wells where the 2 parts meet. It's not too bad, but I will need to have it ripped up by a body shop and fixed. It's on the top just forward of the center of the well. We don't use salt here in Arizona so that's a plus. Salt just eats away the metal.

I try to keep my car as close to the original factory specs as I can. I like to keep the Hitachi parts going so I am looking at replacing the brushes and the electronics in the alternator. The $26 for the diodes and the $5 for the brushes should repair it. I'll have to take it in and have them spin it to see after that to check voltages. I guess I am a purest when it comes to my car.

Ya you have a very nice car I would definitely keep that stock. My car is in very bad shape body wise it is going to take a lot to fix it and I'm sure it won't be at all what it was originally. That is why I want to try and make it better

Anyhow on another note my alternator might be fine I am going to work on it right now and see if I can make it work.

Well I started a thread in the retrofitting forum and got some good help and did a little research and found some info on how to hook up my alternator :grin: now I just need to get a two wire plug and get the alt fixed and I will be good to go :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I accidentally fried it the first time I tried to wire it:dead:

Edited by mikaleda