Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When did Subaru start putting the 2.5 SOHC in it's cars? Any thoughts on which ones and what MYs? For example, I know 1998 Forester has 2.5 DOHC; I want to avoid the head issues the DOHC motors seem to have when I buy a car for my med school bound daughter. Thanks folks!

From what I have read, if you do a headgasket job on the 2.5 with the current OEM style gasket, you don't need to worry so much. Something about upgrading the design. I've also read that doing a headgasket job on these engines is fairly straight forward and easier than a lot of other engines.

Oh, and there is never a dumb question.

From what I have read, if you do a headgasket job on the 2.5 with the current OEM style gasket, you don't need to worry so much. Something about upgrading the design. I've also read that doing a headgasket job on these engines is fairly straight forward and easier than a lot of other engines.

Oh, and there is never a dumb question.

The updated MLS gaskets are said to finally have fixed the problem.

I wouldn't say these are the easiest engines to do head gaskets on, though. The SOHC is fairly straight forward. The DOHC isn't. on the DOHC you have to pull the cams, and them not mix up the shims. And then get it all back together, and timed.

A honda/yota/whatever i4 is a lot easier. Just because you can do it in car, and there's only one head to deal with.

OH, and yes you can do a subaru head gasket job in car. Don't...