Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK-the 2004 Impreza TS wagon I picked up for $700 (cause PO had broke the TB...) looks like there is some damage, shocking I know. A local subaru expert recommended just pulling the old motor and putting in a 'new' one (used) vs. pulling the old one and rebuilding the heads...Any one here have some advice or thoughts - I think I'm gonna need to pull the motor either way - I know pulling the heads in the car is possible, I'm not sure if I'm up to that level of frustration (hard to reach bolts, etc.)

Yeah, it was a good deal - overall car is in really great shape...except for the huge amount of bumper stickers on the back! I put a new belt on it along with replacing the h2o pump, tried to get it to start and it turns over and doesn't make any popping noises...but won't start...gonna check fuel and some other stuff just to be sure...thanks.

Make sure you timed it right. If it did damage you should be able to make it run ull just have valve noise. I know the pre 2000 engines had 2 crank timing marks. U could be on the wrong one. If you didnt hear tap tap from valves hitting piston thats a good sign too. I dont see why 2000 to present timing would be much different. subaru rarely makes big changes to engines. Why mess with it if it aint broke.