Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifted Imp: The Swag Wag

wagonryan

• 3 months later...

Oh wow its been a while since my last post..

Thanks for the props, it means a lot. The countryman belongs to the old man.

I haven't been doing much with the car except driving it to work on occasion. I've been fiddling with getting the snorkel back on, but I have been busy with a new job and trying to buy a house. I WILL finish her and romp. I'm going to start looking for a tranny and start collecting some of the other parts to make her work. I'll post recent pics soon, I promise!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I recently moved to Bellingham and rode along on my first NWWO wheeling trip and I'm beyond psyched to get my car out there. I had hoped to already be dual ranged by now, but things came up so it's gonna be happening in the coming months. I broke 4 wheel studs on the way down to WCSS15 so I didn't get a chance to play in the mud pit, but got everything put back together and fixed some alignment issues. I need to find a place to keep the car as its at my parents house and I rarely go home now to play with it.

one thing I've done to it recently was paint it! home depot lawn patio furniture paint "hammered brown"

photo2_zpsb1e263e8.jpg

photo1_zpse0e4fc8d.jpg

• 4 months later...

I tried taking my car to PIA to get looked over and get the brakes fixed and make sure it was road worthy after the mishap going to wcss and they refused to work on it because they didn't want the liability lol so Northcoast was nice enough to let me park it at his place and help me fix some of the problems.  we installed stainless brake lines and replaced some wheel studs, put on a muffler  and some other stuff.

here are the two cars together

coolz_zps331d2670.jpg

I also collected all of the remaining dual range swap parts

currently cleaning up the tranny since the car its been sitting in has lived in a field for who knows how long.

just need about 10 more cans of degreaser and it'll clean up nicely

photo4_zpsaff4dd52.jpg

Next time we are going to redo the traverse link blocks and brace the rear subframe blocks, replace a ball joint and do the d/r swap. busy busy

• Like 1

got the new trans bolted up to the motor, just gotta do linkages, plug in the electrical stuffs and put my impreza driveshaft flange on the legacy driveshaft. the legacy one is the correct length, but the bolts holes don't match up to my diff.

photo14_zpsc0f2625e.jpg

Something is missing!

photo23_zpscebbb3b9.jpg

hopefully one more big day and it will be done! I want to go wheeling damnit

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The dual range is in and working great! , since then I got my rear diff welded up, and built a skid plate! I'm almost ready for the Walker Valley run next weekend.

Here is the skid plate, man what a pain it was to bend it. ended up having to space it down with skateboard wheels to clear the header lol. it works well.

photo18_zps47e971e6.jpg

and I plastidipped my wheels

photo27_zps5fc328e0.jpg

I just have a couple things to work out before the trip, I'll just list them here so I don't forget

-flush diff fluid to remove slag,

-get some liquid gasket so it wont leak anymore

-replace upper rad hose

-get a tool box with spares organized.

-fix my alignment/ steering joint

-test 4lo up a hill

I'll post some pics up from next weeks run!

• 1 month later...

Love this car I've been whatching your progress on here as its evolved into what it is now, your car and Stella are what inspired me to go with an Impreza wagon for my new build, I still need to start a build thread.

I had a question for you on the DR trans swap I'm doing the same with my impreza and have the trans bolted up to the engine and modded trans crossmember in but the stock drive shaft is about 4 inches too short, I noticed you said you used a Legacy drive shaft and it fit other than the flanges. Do you know what year it came from or if it was out of a auto or manual car, I think they are different lenghts, this would be a big help so I know what to grab at the pull a part.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response but it was out of a manual first gen legacy. I took the lift off my car and just have forester struts on it now. Reinstalled the sway bars, going a new direction with it. Instead of a wheeler it's gonna be an adventure mobile. Still haven't driven it since but I'm getting close. I've even working on some projects getting it ready for wcss16 it's coming in so hot!!

Made more progress on the car again today! I love when I have time to fiddle around in the garage. not too often does that happen anymore. as stated in the last post Ive been working on some projects to get the car road worthy again for WCSS16 and perhaps the BIG NW meet in Portland the week before.

one of the things im most excited about..

started with a stock L bumper, cut between the bumper lights and the silly vents and made my own RS-esque bumper

IMG_1461_zps66d67987.jpg

relocated the turn signals into the corner lights

some new lights, hood (ebay specials) grill (hella 500 ff) and in the bumper I have 8" procomp lights. bright as spoob. Im not going to be running all of them at the same time, its 630 watts altogether lol

074027BB-9DFD-470D-86FE-BADC3D8D89D4_zps

and the bumper reinstalled.. notice the 22b replica vents.. (not the best fitment but man I love the look of them)

FE82D6FA-09FA-414A-8146-11031186B019_zps

took the 235's off. there was just no way they would fit without running spacers. plus I have a set of 27" grabbers that aren't being used.

1E5973C4-B652-48B7-8829-EBFD1B17890C_zps

6BAC47CD-42C3-4CFE-B3D8-2557A865E9F6_zps

and the last fun bit for now

IMG_50531_zpsb22ec09f.jpg

going to get a new exhaust, tuck it up high and have this welded on the end.

in other news, I need a new radiator. Need to fix my rear diff (I think its just the c-clips but if its not I need to get a new unit) I have a month and a half before the show so I have plenty of time to get everything figured out and ready to romp!

Edited by wagonryan

Looking good! Should handle long trips a little more smoothly without as much lift and tire. Looks like it's at a similar stance to mine now which is a bit of a dog on the steep hills at highway speed. ROAD TRIP READY! Wish I could be joining you guys at WCSS. If I wasn't a new dad, I'd be there.

Speaking of road trips - my 2 cents - don't let that exhaust get too loud. Subarus sound nice when they are a little throaty, but that impressive rumble that make people envious when the car is in a driveway or parking lot is a nightmare on a 16 hour road trip. You'll be deaf by the time you get to your destination.

Love watching the progress of this car. Keep up the good work!

Edited by AdventureSubaru