Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem. With loyale

Sounds like what happened to me. Car sputtered and quit running. I checked the fuel filter under the hood and it looked like I had fuel going to the engine, I was wrong.

If the car cranks but won't start and you have spark, it could be the fuel pump. Tap hard on the fuel pump a few times with something like a screwdriver handle.

If the car then starts, you need to replace the fuel pump.

So it is not Timing Belt and if it is Getting fuel, the Fuel pump is not causing the problem.

Are you Sure it is getting Spark?

My Subaru "BumbleBeast" EA82 has the Same problem and the Culprit was the Ignition Module, inside the Distribuitor, even if you change the Disty, both could be bad too...

You can read about that, ~► Here.

How to Test an Ignition Module? ... Easy Procedure explained, ~► Here.

Also: a failing Fusible Link could cause that, Have you Checked those?

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

i know the dist is good i pulled it out of a running motor yea i checked everything i can think of im thinking . it very well could be a fuseable link but i havent found any bad . just dont have any extra money to chase could be's

Said he saw the rotor spinning already, so it's not belts.

That leaves your distributor, it's ignition module and the coil.

I'd test the coil and then follow jeszek's guide above for testing the ignition module

What year Loyale is this? Any codes on the CPU?

Did you replace the CPU with an idintical unit?

I have a no start Loyale 3 AT 4WD. Voltage at coil no spark out of coil. Swapped in known good one with ignitor. Long story short...no light on CPU. Replaced with '88 GL 5peed FWD unit. Then code 11, 13, crank angle sensor. Known good one swapped in, same thing.

Check, double checked fuses and fusible links ignition relay...connections and such.

Swapped in CPU from '88 GL 3 AT 4WD, light blinks 7 times now. I looked up codes in FSM, no 7 so that's normal?

Didn't try to start it yet. And have no clue what caused the Loyale CPU to go belly up. I'm also having a problem with key start, changed the starter relay. May be a switch problem, don't know. Turns over fine with a remote button hooked up underhood.

Got me scratching my head. Car hasn't ran in a few years. Fuel pump runs, getting fuel. I'll try to start it tomorrow on the '88 CPU.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

Yes I checked both timing belts, 2 coils, 2 dist 2 different computers 2 throttle body's 2 fuel pumps , put new plugs wires , cap and rotor don't know what else to check at this point I'm looking for a new car
..ignitor ??

/

What year Loyale is this? Any codes on the CPU?

Did you replace the CPU with an idintical unit?

I have a no start Loyale 3 AT 4WD. Voltage at coil no spark out of coil. Swapped in known good one with ignitor. Long story short...no light on CPU. Replaced with '88 GL 5peed FWD unit. Then code 11, 13, crank angle sensor. Known good one swapped in, same thing.

Check, double checked fuses and fusible links ignition relay...connections and such.

Swapped in CPU from '88 GL 3 AT 4WD, light blinks 7 times now. I looked up codes in FSM, no 7 so that's normal?

Didn't try to start it yet. And have no clue what caused the Loyale CPU to go belly up. I'm also having a problem with key start, changed the starter relay. May be a switch problem, don't know. Turns over fine with a remote button hooked up underhood.

Got me scratching my head. Car hasn't ran in a few years. Fuel pump runs, getting fuel. I'll try to start it tomorrow on the '88 CPU.

Doug

For what it's worth...I had some time yesterday pulled and cleaned all the grounds in the engine compartment just to rule that out and be done with that. No change.

Dealing with two weak batteries so bought a new one today. This evening I put it in, no change. I'd probed and tested all under the hood so I unplugged all the connections going up into the steering column, plugged them back in and and it started with the key. The Loyale CPU is dead, car is running on the "88 GL unit. Car hasn't ran in nearly 4 years.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

I did a little research and this car started out with the AA395 ECU. This from an ebay dealer.

90 91 92 93 SUBARU LOYALE ENGINE COMPUTER ECU ECM 22611 AA395 OEM

COMPATIBLE WITH THE FOLLOWING.

LOYALE 90 Elec Cont Unit (ECU); w/o turbo

LOYALE 91-92 Elec Cont Unit (ECU);

LOYALE 93 Elec Cont Unit (ECU); ID 22611-AA396 (thru 8/92)

SUBARU PASS. 88 Elec Cont Unit (ECU); 3 Dr (Cpe, Lftbk, VIN G), w/o turbo

SUBARU PASS. 88-89 Elec Cont Unit (ECU); 4 Dr (Sdn & SW), w/o turbo

SUBARU PASS. 89 Elec Cont Unit (ECU); (LH dash), 3 Dr (Cpe, Lftbk, VIN G), w/o turbo

Ident: 22611AA390

Ident: 22611AA391

Ident: 22611AA392

Ident: 22611AA393

Ident: 22611AA394

Ident: 22611AA395

Ident: 22611AA396

Doug

my moms 4800000 km loyale died yesterday lost spark when i looked the coil was coroded where it bolts down and was not grounding to the body the transistor on the coil must be grounded its bolted to a painted surface so do's not ground good file it clean and rebolt it and c if that fixes it it fixed this one have seen this many times

Whenever you have ignition problem the first thing you need to do is make sure power is getting to it. If you haven't verified power is getting to the coil on the plus lead that needs to be done. Also verify all the fuses in the dash are ok. Making sure the horn works will verify one of the fuses for the ignition system is ok. Fuse 5 I think.

Edited by Cougar

• 2 weeks later...