Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission swap 2001 forester trans. to a 1998 forester

I have a 1998 Subaru Forester with a bad transmission, no reverse and metal shavings in the pan, i found a 2001 forester with a good tranny for 500 bucks Just wondering what snafus i may have, or will these bolt up and plug in. according to the vin # they are both 4eat transmissions. but looking at them side by side they are definitely different in shape and size. the transmission codes are

the 1998 forester TZ103ZJ1AA

THE 2001 FORESTER TZ1A3ZC2AA-P8

I am trying to figure out the gear ratio cause i hear if that matches i may be all right and maybe swap the speedometer sensor. is this true?

the 98 forester has a 4.44 final drive ratio.

you can use any trans from a 96 - 98 2.5L, outback, GT, LSi or forester. if you use a GT or LSi your speedo may be off a little.

you can find good parts at www.car-part.com. you will have to search each year and model separately. sort by distance to see what is close to home first and then by price just to see if there is a deal somewhare. shipping will cost about $150 so add that to any far away trans price.

note, just so you know: a 95 - 99 legacy / impreza (2.2L) trans will work but you will need to swap in the matching rear diff as well. and this will change your power curve / fuel economy.

Edited by johnceggleston

• 4 years later...

1990 forester

Doesn't exist. As said foresters came much later

How about a transmission swap 1990 forester trans. to a 2001 forester?

Can that work?

yes and no. Need correct year or model and auto or manual.

transmission

options depend if that's a manual or auto.

Manual - yes they probably can be swapped will have final drive ratio differences and driveshaft length differences can be worked around.

If it's an auto then no it won't work, not at least in normal terms most people would find acceptable.

• 5 years later...
On 3/12/2022 at 6:04 AM, Subaru guy said:

I have a 1998 Forester with a bad engine.  I found a 2002 with a good engine.  First of all will they swap out? Second I have the trans from both vehicles, which one should I use to make all things right?

The engines are not compatible and neither are the transmissions. Both are totally different generations. 

GD

On 3/12/2022 at 9:04 AM, Subaru guy said:

I have a 1998 Forester with a bad engine.  I found a 2002 with a good engine.  First of all will they swap out? Second I have the trans from both vehicles, which one should I use to make all things right?

You can swap the 2002 short block into the 98 but not the engine.  In other words bolt everything from the 98 onto the 2002 block - heads, intake, etc.  but I don't recommend doing that unless you know what you're doing. I think I needed to use thicker headgaskets for clearance when I've done that swap in the past. But it's been 10 years since I've done that same swap so I might be off.  

If it's an automatic you keep the trans with the original vehicle.  02 and 98 are not interchangeable for the transmission, if it's a manual you may have options.