Ultimate Subaru Message Board

flywheels same for ea81 & ea81T

hey all,

getting ready to do my clutch and was curious if the flywheels were the same from a ea81 and a ea81T??

I have ea81T on stand, thinking on having it's flywheel turned and ready for my ea81 clutch job, it be very convenient.........

thx

shanonsf

here's the deal

I have a ea81T on stand that came outta a project with a RX 5spd D/R & ctr dif & LSD. (yes, I have the tranny/lsd on ice)

Turbo motor won't be going in any time soon, nor 5spd. Turbo has a flywheel easily accessible (exposed) and was thinking of having it turned and lightend for the 4spd and later for 5spd when ready

will this work?

thx

shanon

Depends on which flywheel you have. They could have used either one. You'll have to figure out if you have the EA81 or the EA82 flywheel. In order to fit the EA82 flywheel, the bell-housing must be ground slightly. You should be able to tell. You need to use the EA81 flywheel with the 4 speed, but you can use either one with the 5 speed. You might be able to use either one with the 4 speed, but I'm not sure on that. I've not heard of anyone putting the EA82 flywheel and clutch on the EA81 engine and tranny.

GD

thx fellas,

the ID = 225mm (9") on turbo's flywheel, i assume that's a ea82T unit?

are the 4spd ea81s a 200mm (8") dia , that's what's in her now i expect, stock for 82 GLW?

should I just keep her stock until I do the major swap?

shanonsf

No grinding is required on the bellhousing.

..for EA81T. as far as your choice of flywheel, use the one that goes with the tranny you are using

ea82's have larger holes for the flywheel, but you can use ea81 bolts with the ea82 flywheel, as the flywheel will still center on the crank snout