Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SVX turns over but won't start / run

My car was fine 3 or 4 days ago and today I can't get it to start. I turns over just fine but refuses to run. I can get it to run for a few seconds by spraying carb cleaner into the intake, but it quickly dies. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I've checked all the hoses and they appear fine.

The car will not run even with the air box removed. I also checked the fuel pump connector in the back and cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner, but nothing. It's almost as if the fuel pump went out completely.

It was at the mechanics getting a "speed sensor" and duty C replacement. Is it possible they messed something up? Also, while it was at the mechanics, it was hit from behind by a tractor trailer. Could the impact have caused damage to the fuel pump or anything else?

Thanks

car needs 3 things to run - fuel, air & spark.

since you can get it to fire with a shot of starting fluid, my guess is it isnt getting fuel, and that is what you should be checking first.

make sure there is power to the fuel puimp

then see if it is actually pumping.

and as far as the truck hitting it, how much physical damage was done? regardless, doubtful it would actually damage the fuel pump - purely coincidence IMHO.

Looks like you drove the car from the shop, then drove it for a few days and now it will not start. Could be a loose connector: air mass sensor, crank sensor,....these control spark.

You should be able to verify if the fuel pump is working, disconnect the ignition coil connector, to inhibit a spark, disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter just before the injector, then turn the key and look for fuel.

You could verify a spark, remove a sparkplug, connect plug cable, let it make contact with chassis ground, turn the key and look for a spark on the plug.

I can be hard to reach but if you want to bring it by my shop let me know. Link below to contact info. Fuel pump is certainly a possibility, and very common on this era of Subaru.

Are you saying it won't run now that the mechanics have worked on it or it took 3 days after they did to have trouble?

I tested the voltage at the connector.

With the key on: 6 volts at the yellow and 12 volts at the green next to the black. The rest were dead

With the key off: All dead.

Is it possible the impact knocked something lose like the fuel pump modulator or ground wire? Since it's in the rear of the trunk where the car got hit this might be plausible.

Or is it more likely the relay went bad?

Thanks

The starter relay (located under the dash by steering column) clicks when the ignition is turned on, so I assume it must be the fuel pump. I guess without knowing what the voltage should be at the connector and what wires should be live or dead, it'll be an $85 gamble. I'll post back my results after I replace my fuel pump.

• 8 years later...
11 hours ago, Brian FORD said:

We've been waiting 8 years for those results! I have those same problems.

I applaud you for searching, seriously.

But, best to start your own thread with your own details, then add onto another (especially a long-dead one).

• Like 1