Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 91 legacy

Jimnohrdeb

You would want an EJ25 block with EJ22 heads to make a High-compression motor for more torque.

Dunno why you'd want to change the tail housing, as its probably the same depending on transmission. All 4EATs are the same give or take, they just have different gear ratios.

If this is a Legacy SS 5spd it will have 3.900 gearing with a VLSD rear. 4EAT will have a 4.11 gearing and open rear diff.

Not all of them have the VLSD, afaik it was an option.

Mine has it, but I've heard of ones that don't.

I would keep the Phase-I EJ22E, its more bullet proof than the EJ25s of the Forester or Outbacks.

The Forester will have a gear ratio of 4.44 if it is an Automatic. so you would need a matching rear diff. If you get a 5spd Forester transmission, it will have a gear ratio of 4.11 (Same goes for '96-'99 Outback)

A 4.11 gear ratio with a 5spd gearbox will get you off the line quicker, but you will run slightly higher RPMs on the interstate.

I'm not sure how much the gearing changes from first gen Legacy to first gen Forester. Forester might have a taller 4th gear. I won't know until I look it up.

If anything, I would swap to a Turbo EJ22 for more power and torque for rally driving.

EDIT: Here are the gears in your currant gearbox.

Manual transmission gear ratios:

1st - 3.545

2nd - 1.947

3rd - 1.366

4th - 0.972

5th - 0.780

reverse - 3.333

final drive ratio - 3.90

Here are the gears in a 5spd '98-'01 Forester

2.5 Non Turbo 5 Manual

1st 3.454

2nd 2.062

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th 0.780

Reverse 3.333

Transfer 1.000

Final 4.111

Edited by TheLoyale

I've installed coilovers from an impreza. Any other ideas anyone?

are the bottoms adjustable? or just the spring perch, if the bottoms are adjustable you want to start there.

adjusting the spring will change the preload and shorten the shock life.

The Smoking could be a bad PCV, leaking Intake manifold gaskets, worn valve guides/seats ect. Check out the simplest first and go from there. It could also be motor oil dripping onto the exhaust while driving, The oil separator plate on the rear of the motor likes to leak, as does the rear main seal. Oil pan and cam seals like to leak as well.