Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen1 Brat, more legroom possible?

So as im finally getting my brat running again im debating on what issues to adress next and one thats heavy on my mind is leg room. I am about 6'1" and my legs tend to rub on the steering wheel :/. SO, what is the best solution to cramming me into this thing in a more comfortable way? I figure I could try and figure out how to mount a slightly smaller steering wheel but will make turning more cumbersome and the other thing I thought about was maybe a cheap ebay racing seat mounted as close to the ground as possible. Anyone else have this issue? Solutions?

A steering wheel with more offset should work really well. Granted I can recline the seat back on my 74 but the offset wheel makes it much easier to get my legs under and around everything and its still about the same diameter as stock.

Also 6'1" ;)

Well, it is a Gen 1 Brat?! You gotta expect that from a sardine can powered by a hamster wheel.

But I do relate as I feel cramped in mine too. I kind of like it.

Haha yeah I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, just really love the go-kart-ness of it...just not the knees hitting the wheel part. I Started looking around yesterday and supposedly the Hub adapters for the 80's brat works?

ok guys i seriously think this it a go-kart steering wheel thats custom because it doesn't have any numbers on it/brands measuring it with my hand then back at my house its 9in from the inside so its small but it gives more leg room i can get pics/measurements of the back if u want so u can make it

560935_166929443442202_1915229123_n.jpg554983_166929333442213_1682871399_n.jpg

• 2 months later...
I'm 6'5 and fit fine... don't know why you all think it's so tight, maybe its not height but weight? :popcorn:

I am 6'5" too, what is your inseam? (My inseam is in the 36" range):D

I am seriously concidering getting a 78' Brat, my only issue is that I have never sat in one and this one is about 2 hours away from me.

I have issues with sitting in a Rav4 so I am kinda concerned that it might be to tight for me.

:-\ So I am trying to asses where other people my size are at in one.

Thanks for your time.

Heath

I did two things to get more leg room on my 81 brat:

1) First I removed the plastic accelerator pedal, now it's just the metal stub. This allows you to stretch the accelerator leg out a little and move it around which helps on the longer trips.

2) I found a momo wheel from the local dump shop for $5 and eventually picked up a momo 7301 boss kit for a reasonable price. The wheel is slightly smaller and adds a bit of offset which gives a little more room.