Ultimate Subaru Message Board

San Angelo, TX mabey moving there???

I am going down there for a work trial type thing for the next 2 weeks and may have a great opportunity to move there. One of the first things I looked at on craigslist was subies for sale and only 3 came up. So Im wondering if there are any other subaru owners in or near San Angelo with any useful info on this city or anything interesting worth mentioning. I can pretty much guarantee Im gonna be the only one to have a lifted 83 gl coupe and am I gonna have a hard time finding parts if I need them locally. Coming from the northwest this is a totally different place than I am used to.

Yep my brotha, it's definitely different than Portland / Vancouver. I finally saw a late 80's GL wagon today. probably an 87. First I've seen! I still think my 85 brat might be the oldest in town! And probably the only Brat! Check out the Texas group - http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/group.php?groupid=20. Not a lot of action there, but there's a several of us.

one possible problem, if you are accustomed to having a multitude of BLM/forest service roads to wheel on - uh, not much federal land in Texas. Not to say that San Angelenos woun't have a coupla spots nearby to offroad - but it's likely private property.

but I'm not from there so, maybe you'll get connected with a resident from the area.

Ya I figured not very many muddy trails in TX lol. Hopefully I can at least find a couple places outside of town to at least get offroad, of course without getting in trouble:brow:. Ive heard pretty good things about San Angelo so Im goin down there this friday for a lil over a week to see if its somwhere I would like to live and the kind of work that will benefit my future. Of course if things work out I will miss the northwest after being here for 21 years, but I sure wont complain about all the sunshine. Thanks for the info guys.

Ya I figured not very many muddy trails in TX lol. Hopefully I can at least find a couple places outside of town to at least get offroad, of course without getting in trouble:brow:. Ive heard pretty good things about San Angelo so Im goin down there this friday for a lil over a week to see if its somwhere I would like to live and the kind of work that will benefit my future. Of course if things work out I will miss the northwest after being here for 21 years, but I sure wont complain about all the sunshine. Thanks for the info guys.

yeah, even in the middle of winter, you can still do outdoor 'stuff'.

hope it works out for ya!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah there is not much of a subaru scene down here but do you really want to be a part of a scene? Or would you rather start the scene? Honestly I get way more enjoyment out of having people go wtf is that!? than seing a bunch of other cars just like mine sitting in a parking lot. Im sure there are plenty of off road people down there if thats what your into...just don't expect them to know what a brat is :P. Haha true story I went into the nearest Subaru dealership and tried to order some parts for my brat and even at a Subaru dealership, no one there in the parts department or the shop had any idea what a brat was!

Yeah there is not much of a subaru scene down here but do you really want to be a part of a scene? Or would you rather start the scene? Honestly I get way more enjoyment out of having people go wtf is that!? than seing a bunch of other cars just like mine sitting in a parking lot. Im sure there are plenty of off road people down there if thats what your into...just don't expect them to know what a brat is :P. Haha true story I went into the nearest Subaru dealership and tried to order some parts for my brat and even at a Subaru dealership, no one there in the parts department or the shop had any idea what a brat was!

Wow thats crazy lol. I get alot of people asking me up here in the NW what kind of car I have. I know down there nobody will know my lifted 83 coupe is a Subaru. Youve got a good point about starting a scene.

And the heat wasnt too bad, of course its pretty hot but its something I can get used to.

• 3 weeks later...

So I made it down here to Texas on Thursday. It took us three days and 1860 miles from Vancouver wa. to San Angelo. Not too bad for having the suby on a trailer behind the u haul. It was awesome goin through Utah its just too bad I didnt have time to take it off the trailer in Moab especially since I know the coupes probly never gonna be there again. But it feels good to finally be here in Texas. I sure am gonna miss the northwest but im lovin the sunshine.