Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale, 93, "Tin can"

tincan

Right, so it's not a show car, nor is it really going to be, but I figured I should at least post a few pictures of it.

Figure I'm looking to push only about 130whp. I don't need it to be a race car, but, having to downshift two gears to climb hills on the way upstate can't be good for it. Any methods on how I could acheieve that without having to do all sorts of changes? Please, leave your two cents.

anyway, link to my Photobucket album: http://s1078.photobucket.com/albums/w482/tincan93/

Enjoy.

You new to the GL/Loyale scene?

Either way, welcome. I see you're in NY, I'm right by ya brother, across the river in Jersey.

Your Loyale looks to be *exactly* the same as mine, except it sounds like yours is a 5 speed.

Looks to be FWD by how long it sits.

You're never going to hit anywhere near 130 horses at the wheel with that car, so get that idea out of your head lol.

You have a SPFI 90 horsepower at the crank (new) Naturally Aspirated EA82 engine.

It also looks like you have sagging rear springs in the back of your loyale the same way as mine. Do you bottom out when there's four or five people in the car? I get a lot of wheel-well rub, especially on the driver's side rear, when I'm loaded down.

e0c394bf.jpg

No good. lol

Nice loyale! Nice low mileage too, if you take care of it, it will last a very long time. Got ours 2 years ago with 52k on it and we're up to 88k now and climbing daily.

Btw, you should be able to maintain speed on anything but the steepest hills in 4th gear. You may have to put your foot to the floor, but it should do it. Only in Wyoming and over the rocky mountains have I ever had to drop down to 3rd to maintain highway speeds.

i was looking on ebay and found a add for anther site where there selling computer chips for $69 that claim that they increase horse power up to 60 and mpg up to 7 more, it says that it will raise the horse power up to 128 on the gl but not sure if thats true, but i dont want to steer u the wrong way because i dont know how well it works or even if it works heres a link http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CQHLxK30QUNX4OMXYqwG7kYCQCuWE13rJ1omdI6GJ4qEqCAAQAigDUNXd4qr7_____wFgyYb-i8yk1BmgAf78jf8DyAEBqgQdT9Coq2VYeaPrFCGssVgGY54Ok-8IeV-eMfZbo_g&sig=AOD64_0ye1IbWe-fnDy08kTzTX0B4HHTRA&ved=0CGEQ0Qw&adurl=http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Subaru/ hope it helps

Edited by turbosubarubrat

You new to the GL/Loyale scene?

Yes, I am, though it's my third Subaru. It is 5 speed and FWD, as you mentioned, and it is pretty much the same car as yours.

My other (second) Subaru is a 92 Legacy FWD, but, it's automatic. It has 124K on it, but, the tranny blew out around 117K (which turns out was my fault for not changing the fluids).

No, my coil springs are not like that at all, and haven't ever been that way. The car was on a slanted angle with a hill, so it just looks all outta whack. Will take some more photos so you can see. :P

I've been looking at getting another engine so that I can put a low boost turbine on it (5-7psi of boost), so that the engine simply wouldn't choke out from steep inclines. I travel upstate a lot, and it's not uncommon for me to lose 40mph during an incline up a number of hills. Flooring it in third doesn't help, and is no good for my short gears.

65mph in 5th = 3000rpm for me. Not sure if yours is the same.

The EJ swap for me would be mostly time consuming, since I have a car I can use for parts anyway.

IMAG0003.jpg

No sagging.

IMAG0017.jpg

BAM, rattle can. Eventually I'll sand it down and get out the scoring on the plastic, but for now, this will suffice.

---

Once October rolls around I'll take it off the road and otherwise refresh things that need dealt with (the steel cancer zzz, braking, engine and transmission, and the suspension). At the moment, I can't afford to drive around without A/C, and my Legacy does not have it. :banghead:

I like it! It's just a subtle little difference that's hard to spot, but it looks good!

Well thanks, I'm glad you like it as much as I do. I think it gives the car a more distinctively "old" look.

I need to pin down some wing mirrors, dual headlamps, and a few other bits and pieces to complete the look, but, I'm trying to go for a more "aero" look on the car... Another add on will be a rear window louver, which I'm hoping to be my first Welding class project.

Oooo can you get a sound clip when you got that on?

Of course! Hopefully I don't blow holes in the pipes when I go to weld it up... Unless I get someone else to do it (NO FUN!).

But first I have to buy a welder... Harbor Freight time!

This upcoming week, I'm putting in the "new" calipers I ordered from RockAuto. Unfortunately, one of them is missing the bracket for the hill hold cable. Thankfully, I can simply re-use the one in there now.

This is after I get the garage cleaned up, set up, get done with class, study for academic classes, run around like a chicken on its way to plucking, work out how Im dealing with the upcoming wagon purchase... Life is a juggling contest!

Pics later this week for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah okay, no cherry bomb yet, no wagon. Got the brakes in the car and spent the last four days cleaning the garage out, so now I have space of my own to do whatever with. Not to mention i get to scrap everything metal in there and profit.

After reading the welding threads, decided to wait and not spring for a cheap welder, especially since I rather detest HF Tools anyway for mostly selling junk.

HOPEFULLY the cherry bomb goes on Saturday. It was supposed to be on last Saturday, but the person who was helping me decided to run his mouth all morning and the moment i made one comment, he threw me out (then stole half my tools). F'in NY hillbillies. Dish it but can't take it. Haha.

HOPEFULLY the cherry bomb goes on Saturday. It was supposed to be on last Saturday, but the person who was helping me decided to run his mouth all morning and the moment i made one comment, he threw me out (then stole half my tools). F'in NY hillbillies. Dish it but can't take it. Haha.

thats why u bring cheep tools to people u dont know houses like harbor freight or cheap jappenese and tiwan

• 11 months later...

Did I... Die, or something?

Actually life happened. Repeatedly.

Car sat in the snow from November to February un-inspected. Promises of exhaust work and repairs were negated. Many snow days were spent on ATC's.

Then got cuffed up the first ride of spring for trying to model safe riding on roadways. Funstuff.

Probably a lot of stuff missing here, but I digress...

The Loyale now has 77000 miles. Timing belts done just after last update. It's got all around new brake parts. New hoses, new thermostat. New plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. One new axle. New ball joints, and an alignment to improve the handling. The A/C is freshly evac'ed, oil'ed, and retrofitted/recharged to R134.

The recent K&N Filter was well received by the engine, after some patience in getting it into the box correctly. The first drive with it in, the throttle response improved, as well as the gas mileage. Won't start throwing out numbers until I tank it up fully, but after 4 gallons in an empty tank, it's over the 200 mile mark with an 1/8th on the gauge. Previously, it always got 43mpg.

So, reading over ecomodder.com many times over, I've decided on taking that approach to modifying the car. It's already lost it's rear seats and one external mirror. Next to come is removal of the plastic body trim down both sides of the car, and shaving down the edges of the bumpers where it protrudes out alongside of each fender. Other areas could be touched on, but, those are the primary.

I might be going out on a limb, but, any of you doing aluminum work, that window louver project is something I want to approach. If you're interested and local, or can do a mock up, let's talk.

• Like 1

Wait for it.. Wait... For it...

Okay here we go.

Took a nice ride out to NJ yesterday, and recruited my friend "Warlock" to help me do the trim removal. 3 hours later...

20130729_152745.jpg

The 20 year old dirt became visible once more.

With some patience between us both, we free'd the trim off the front doors with minimal scratching (not that it mattered).

20130729_160737.jpg

Decided the "freshly removed trim, 20 year old grime" look wasn't working out. So we plugged the holes with duct tape and washed it.

Half hour later...

IMAG0388.jpg

Hm.

IMAG0389.jpg

IMAG0390.jpg

Well now.

IMAG0391.jpg

Success. Today it received some tacky, cheap stickers.

IMAG0404.jpg

So after filling the tank and heading home, laden with the extra weight from the fuel and tools, I noticed it doesn't catch as much drag from air flowing off the sides of other cars.

Still to come, removing fenders and the trim on those, as well as the mudflaps. Then doing the bondo work for the holes, and at the same time, some of the rust on the edges of the doors. Plus the bits of left over adhesive...

In the meantime, fixing the pullstart on the 200 S. Probably Thursday.

Edited by tincan

Between last night and today, more progress.

Removed wheel wells, tied up wiring harnesses and hoses for the washer, touched up areas on the frame/underbody I thought could use it. Opened the lower duct of the intake pipes, drilled holes in filter box to account for the possibility of water being sucked in. Primed/painted the air dam, quickly. Sanded and primed a rusty area of the passenger fender. Removed remaining trim and clips in body. Removed 2 of the 3 remaining mudflaps.

Also, discovered the headlights are from an '89 Subaru RX, via bottom of housings. At least they cover the "dam-less headlight" part of the project. Plus, there are two bolts on the front of the fender that were the bane of my existance for about an hour and a half.

Total time: 10 hours, start to finish.

Very sore, but taking the car out for a drive now that it's finished...

IMAG0413.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0418.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg

IMAG0420.jpg

IMAG0425.jpg

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0426.jpg

IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

IMAG0431.jpg

Another day, more progress. Not related to the actual eco-modding, but was just tired of looking at peeled clearcoat and very worn paint.

So without further hesitation, another 2 1/2 hours of work.

As it was:

IMAG0004.jpg

Which was just gross.

Step one, ridding that ugly paint.

IMAG0005.jpg

Decided to leave a good portion of undercoat, smoothed over some of the minor denting, and then:

IMAG0006-1.jpg

First coat of primer.

IMAG0008.jpg

To the second coat, which was then sanded with 320 grit, dry washed with microfiber, then sanded again with 1000 grit. Repeat dry wash, taped off... When the clouds rolled in. Thankfully the humidity is still low, so it was moved to the basement:

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

The first coat went on smoothly. Have to sand it again, and then put a second coat on, humidity permitting.

Edited by tincan

Nice car. I have that same car but in white and I can see the aluminum on my engine instead of black grease lol. I can see you are lovingly restoring it.  I missed the odometer reading in one of the pics. Was that 276,000 ? :o

Edited by MR_Loyale