Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When my OBW started tossing this code, I tried replacing the O2 sensors. I tried clearing the codes. I tried ... But, the code always returned. I wound up replacing the cat and put the heat shields back in place. The 0420 code has not returned since the new cat went on the car. That was over nine months ago.

Steve

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my OBW started tossing this code, I tried replacing the O2 sensors. I tried clearing the codes. I tried ... But, the code always returned. I wound up replacing the cat and put the heat shields back in place. The 0420 code has not returned since the new cat went on the car. That was over nine months ago.

Steve

Did you use genuine Subaru cat (1 year warranty??) or aftermarket?

nope two days later 420 agian had had a talk with one of the apprentices at are local subaru dealer he said they reflash the ecu to fix problem i have no way of doing thiss and the dealer will not do thiss as a service or admitt it exists at all :banghead:mabee if i send 50 cars there in a row it will help i fugure its a subaru ecu callabration problem is just to sensitive

well, you could take a look at what the WRX and STI tuners do with Tactrix cable and RomRaider, etc. But I dunno if there's much support for n/a vehicles.

for instance, if the air-cut/ air injection valves were stuck on a car, you could kill all 14-15 w'ever codes associated with them, remove the pump and valves and put cover plates where the valves were. No codes, and passes emissions inspection.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410201

http://www.romraider.com/

http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69:what-cars-work-with-ecuflash&catid=40:ecuflash&Itemid=41

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

i have heard nothing about recall, i'm not in canada but i am close (within fifty miles of the border)

sorry - pretty sure it was in the US, maybe california???

wish my car radio had a 'replay buffer' feature like my u-verse TV box does!

thing is, if they sent bad gas down a pipeline, how many terminals could have gotten it?

EDIT ! ; appears to have been affected about 200 retailers in Indiana.

nvrmd

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

the gas round here is not so good very dirty i cange feul fillters often and they are very bad when i do alot of particulate in gas i think the octane is allright and not to mutch addatives just dirty still no 420 fix had a 99 legacy 2.2 420 yesterday and a 04 outback 420 and a 98 legacy 420 all in one day 420 come 3 or 4 at a time

to much pot smoking....:brow:

Like, yeah...a '420' code is...awesome!!!

I get those a lot, too...I guess the software must be very sensitive to certain aspiration characteristics. In my case, a proper air filter was the ultimate solution.

--Damien

I know this won't help, but anyway. After this code came up on my '95 Impreza, I bought a new front oxygen sensor. Then, when I situated myself underneath the car, I found the flexible joint after the converters to be rusted out and leaking. I fixed the joint and replaced the sensor, and the code did go away. I believe that the problem must still be somewhere in the feedback loop of the catalyst monitor. It might be using inputs from other sensors and there could be something wrong with one of them (w/o any extra codes). Reminds me of the posts about frustrating EGR codes where MAP sensor was found to be the culprit.

with ether spray gentaly around the questanble area and watch for increase in rpms will suck in ether if leaking only see intake gasket leaks on 92-94 2.2 s with non meatal intake gaskets. Have been all over the exhausts on theese 420 cars no leaks at all but lots of missing heat shields but have cars with 0 heat shieds that dont set 420 seems to be no commen conection of why the 420 comes up on some but not others have had 2 of exact cars here one with 420 and one without wish i knew what to meshure between them to see what the differace is

with ether spray gentaly around the questanble area and watch for increase in rpms will suck in ether if leaking only see intake gasket leaks on 92-94 2.2 s with non meatal intake gaskets. Have been all over the exhausts on theese 420 cars no leaks at all but lots of missing heat shields but have cars with 0 heat shieds that dont set 420 seems to be no commen conection of why the 420 comes up on some but not others have had 2 of exact cars here one with 420 and one without wish i knew what to meshure between them to see what the differace is

intake mani gasket would be one area non-metered air could leak in and lean out the system. (if the systems are lean....)