Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy, 92, "Eyesore"

tincan

Eyesore is my second of three Subaru vehicles. I picked it up from reaching the scraper during the boom of "Cash For Clunkers" in 2009, since the standard rating for gas mileage should be in the 20's. When I got him, he was intact, had 70K on everything (and fresh timing belts/brakes at the time), and otherwise hasn't had a day off for 4 years.

He's slid into a snow ditch, mostly my fault for not having put the correct tires on him for winter driving (Falken Ziex 914 tires are NOT meant for winter use, whatsoever!).
I've gotten him full of mud while practicing my oversteer recovery.
He's been to Michigan in the dead winter, Ohio in the summer, Pennsylvania on a few whims, and back to NY many, many times.
He's blown a transmission on Thanksgiving, limped 40 miles sans fourth gear, and got me around locally for another 2 months thereafter before the replacement was installed.

His only modifcations are the 15" Impeza rims, wider tires, a cheap high flow air filter with the restriction box removed, fold down seats from a junked "95 Legacy Wagon, and missing interior parts. Though I have to admit, those seats in the back sure are comfy and plush...

He's downright uh-guh-ly, has loose duct tape everywhere, caked in mud in places I didn't think it could hold on to.

IMAG0018.jpg

http://photobucket.com/eyesore

Haven't decided what his future fate is yet, but, if I don't use him for the EJ swap in my Loyale, I'll probably use my welding class to put a roll cage in him, and take him to the "Lemons" races. Could be coolish, so long as I don't get the crusher! xD

Whoops. Cut for decency.

Edited by tincan

these cars seem to hit deer alot i have two 90's and they have both hit deer before i got them

He waited for me in a ditch... Im positive if i had swerved, i would have been in that ditch and not have driven home, nor gotten the insurance payout for it.

Which i might add, paid for my alignment, the time i lost, headlights... So... No big. :P

He waited for me in a ditch... Im positive if i had swerved, i would have been in that ditch and not have driven home, nor gotten the insurance payout for it.

Which i might add, paid for my alignment, the time i lost, headlights... So... No big. :P

yep these cars are pretty tough i would have hit the deer to :D

I enjoyed the story and it seems you enjoy that car!

Always had a soft spot for the first generation legacy's.:headbang:

Oh yeah, the day I get rid of it is the day I stop breathing, or it rusts out completely!

Went to the shop today to give my uncle a hand with the diesel trucks, strolled over to the junk yard around lunchtime cause I wasn't liking how the Ziex tires were sounding on the ride in (They are really shot).

Picked up two holdover tires, the "beater" rims that were attached, 10 lug nuts for them, and 20 lug nuts for my Impreza rims. $200 later...

IMAG0041.jpg

I have (slightly) better tires and no longer have an annoying pull, warble noise, or trouble braking.

Even though I hate how the rims look...

All these emergency slow downs and quick light changes (you know, all these ticket cameras are a real f!@#$n' pain!) are putting a lot of stress on the rotors and steering rack.

I wonder sometimes, is there a gremlin who watches the cameras, looks for "beat" looking cars simply to change the lights to see if their brakes fail out... Haha. Maybe too many spy movies!

Sense of humor is required for mechanics. Even the instructor keeps saying so. :D

• 11 months later...

Uglier than ever.

Proof that even snow tires and a good driver can't avoid stupid. See huge "Passat-shaped" dent.

IMAG0352.jpg

Gone is the rust coated hood in lieu of a two-step prime coat. Hood pins? Nope! Long live wingnuts.

IMAG0355.jpg

Now at 144K.

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0353.jpg

Yeah, I'm going to keep it around after all. 20,000 miles in a year without a single break down or major repair isn't worth giving the chopping block.

Edited by tincan

• 4 weeks later...