Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm starting to look into replacing my old '98 Legacy with a smaller hatchback. What are people's thoughts on the 08-09 Imprezas? What are the typical issues with these cars and what sort of realistic MPG do they get? I'd be looking for a manual, not an automatic. The other potential is a Matrix .... but I hate the thought of giving up the AWD, yet at the same time I drive a lot and don't want something that's going to eat me out of house and home on gas.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

We have an 08 OBS with auto. Generally been happy with it. Has @43.5K miles on it now. Some minor annoyances include:

1. Squeeking A/C belt - comes on and off. However, I will replace soon.
  2. A/C had to be repaired under warranty - The evaporator had a minor leak and was losing refrigerant. The dealership did a great job, putting everything back together. They left the radio antenna unplugged - no big deal, I took care of this.
  3. Under low speed load conditions, there is a resonance/drone/vibration heard momentarily. I took care of this by placing some strips of weather seal tape from HD under 3 or 4 points of the air intake duct on the left front top of the engine.
  4. Recently, the cruise, traction and CELs came on and believe the cruise was flashing. Since family is on a trip, my son just undid the battery and reconnected it - they travelled fine after that.
  5. The TPS WL randomly started to flash last winter, but this self corrected and no issues since then.
  6. The paint on the hood is prone to chips etc. I will get this resprayed when the family returns from vacation.
  7. The sun shades are a problem. They must have upgraded these to be more adjustable within the stops. The drivers side was replaced under warrantly as it broke, and we can leave it in any position. The passenger side can only be adjusted to two positions (like the original driver's side).

The car is decent, handles well (I have added the 09 WRX rear stabilizer bar set-up, simple bolt on install), brakes very well, is put together well. Mileage around town is 24-25. On the expressway (family trip up) with 4 adults, the family got 28.5 mpg, quite decent.

If you have specific questions, send me a PM, and I will do my best to answer.

Edited by aba4430
Spelling correction.

I can't really comment on the MPG on the Impreza's, but my 02 Outback gets a pretty steady 25-26mpg.

I'm guessing your budget will prohibit it, but the new 2012's are pretty dang nice (just drove a few the other week), and they gas mileage is way better, even with the 5spd (25/34) instead of the CVT (25/37 i think).

Of course it could just be the difference between a 10 year old car and a new one. :)

if you're claiming that the new impreza is bigger than my 98 outback, i definitely need to go into the dealer and check one out. size was my main concern as i have a one and three-year-old. i swear that my outback, other than roof height, is bigger than our b9 tribeca.

And the new Outback is the size of an Explorer, ugh, don't get me started.

The Impreza Sport (formerly Outback Sport) that I drove had seemingly the same room in the front seats. I only sat in the back briefly, but would say it's slightly smaller head/leg room wise (in hatch form). My biggest qualm was cargo capacity, still way smaller in the Impreza, but I suppose that's what the Forester is for...

The smaller motor (2.0 I think), puts out good power (~145hp?) especially pared with the CVT (no 5spd on the lot to try).

The 'Sport' only has maybe 1/4" or so higher ground clearance than the base Impreza - I guess that's where the XV fits in. I was starting to dig the 2-tone paint on the Sport trim.

I test drove the 2012 impreza too... pretty nice. The new 2.0 liter engine is supposed to get quite a bit better mileage... like 35+ highway (the new ratings are a little odd... giving a range of 33 to 39 for the 5MT, instead of just a single number -- probably more realistic...)

It was too expensive though... I didn't have a down payment or trade, so it was going to be $309/mo)

Z

Thanks for the responses!

I would LOVE to get a new 2012 2.0L Impreza but it's just not in the cards right now.....too expensive as new vehicle. If it doesn't crop up with any major issues in the next few years I will almost certainly try to pick one up off the used market.

My dear old Legacy is just a hair off of hitting 350,000km....probably next week sometime. Everything just seems to be wearing out so I've decided to start shopping for a reliable used vehicle.

One of my main questions is do the newer Subaru 2.5L engines still have prominent head gasket issues? Say 2007 and newer. I put a lot of Km on my cars (40K+ a year) so I need one that's going to be able to handle the distance. Reliability, safety, and a car that I will enjoy driving would be nice. Everything I want is in a Subaru....except for the MPG, and considering how much I drive it might be a deal breaker. I haven't made up my mind on that though.

Do the newer Subarus also all still have timing belts.....I thought I read somewhere that some now have chains?

Again, I appreciate any and all input :P

UC

OMG....just on a side note the local Subaru dealer wants me to bring my Legacy in for a trade in appraisal. *LOL* At 350K I'd probably have to pay them to take it!

Edited by Urban Coyote

The 2012 is not bigger, it is the same size as a 98 outback.

The outback is much bigger.

The 6 cylinders and 2.0 have chains.

2007 or newer havent heard anything about HG issues. I am sure there are one or two but you can say that with any car mfg.

I drove a 2012 Impreza prior to purchasing a 2012 Kia Optima.

The Impreza was very rough riding and the interior was as out of date and dull as an old Ford Taurus.

The CVT is a joke, it remimded me of a Honda motorscooter I used to have.

I have been a Subie fan for many years!!

In the process of restoring an 83 GL and an 86 Brat to play with.

Jack