Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 gl dash lights

i have a problem with my 80 gl, some of my dash lights stay on that shouldn't. they are my battery light near my volt meter, my park brake light, and my stop lamp lights. it has been like this since i bought the car and the original owner said when they were hooking up the fuel pump they shorted something out, they thought that might have been what caused this. i don't see how it could have because when i first got this car the fuel pump was running off of a toggle switch that was connected directly to the battery

(which i have since fixed).

what i would like to know is where is a likely place to look for the problem. i have checked, my alternator is working fine, so are my brake lights, it has a new battery and battery clamps, and running with no loads it sits at 14 volts steady

Sounds like the blew a power or ground to the cluster. You'll need schematics an d patience to get it out for testing.

if i blew a power the lights wouldn't turn on at all. i was thinking more along the lines of a shorted out ground somewhere, at least for the park break light. i am not sure how the stop lamp lights work and what could cause them to malfunction. i am going to replace my alternator and see if that changes anything

I think if the fuse for the alternator was bad then the warning lights wouldn't be able to turn on.

You should have less than .1 volt of AC voltage across the battery when the alternator is running and in good shape. Your alternator clearly is defective with 45 volts of AC. You may have to replace your battery also. Have it tested before you put in the new alternator to make sure it is ok. When you replace the alternator and if you find the warning lights are still on then I suspect you will need to replace the external voltage regulator also. There may be a bad blocking diode in it and it is allowing power to flow back to the warning lights and turn them on.

The warning lights are in the field circuit of the alternator so they can be in the test mode when you turn on the ignition and the engine isn't running. That allows current from the ignition switch to pass through the lights and to ground through the alternator field windings. When the alternator is running, the field is built up and back feeds power to the lamps. The lamp circuit now has no ground connection and the lights turn off until there is a problem with either the alternator or in the area the warning light is for.

Edited by Cougar

:cool: thanks for the info i will look into that. i think my battery is good it came out of my legacy and it worked fine then. i am defiantly going to replace my alternator i will grab an external voltage regulator while i'm at it also.

• 3 months later...