Ultimate Subaru Message Board

locked out of trunk, how to open from inside trunk? o/b sedan

2000 outback sedan. the key wont open the trunk. i saw the tab and switched it over to see if that was the problem, and now it wont open from the lever, or with the key DOH.

so i see the "trunk access" hole in the seat, and im gonna try and squeeze my fat arse in there and get it open again, but i dont know how... ill flip the switch back and just use the lever from now on. help please b4 i climb in there and cant get out lmao. thanks

I don't think you can get to the lever it with the trunk closed. But maybe you can I don't know. I'm not sure how you could kajiggle the latch to get it popped. I know there is a little square hole right in the center that I THINK you can jam a screwdriver into and twist and it will pop but I'm not sure. I can check in the morning.

Your back seats don't fold down? Seems like it might be better/safer to just take the back seat out. It isn't that hard to remove the cushions. Two bolts for the bottom cushion and three for the back cushion.

if the key turns but nothing happens the key cylinder is probably ok and you have a linkage problem. worst case, some part is busted but probably just came ''unsnapped''.

you might try a broom stick or something similar to reach insdie the trunk and ''flip the lever''.

there might even be a trunk release inside. some cars have them, but i guess that is just the really big ones that are used for kidnapping. :lol:

i got it open, was able to flip the lever and release it with the lever inside car. its missing the rod from the key switch to the latch, so ill pick one up at the j/y and that should work again also. thanks for the replys :headbang:

Did you look for the rod inside the panel?

Where in CT do you junkyard shop?

yeah, i looked around, but didnt find it. i just bought my 2.2 motor for that car from terryville auto parts, so i will go there first. plus now ill be in the market for a sunroof glass for my 05 baja, since that got broken yesterday by a driveshaft that fell off the truck infront of me. shot up like a missle, and hit the roof right above my head. 3 inches lower, i wouldnt be here typing this... theres several j/ys in my area thou, atleast 10 within 15min driving.

why do you ask? do you have some top secret subaru j/y that i dont know about... where in CT are you from?

I'm in Fairfield County and don't know of any JYs down here. Real estate is too spendy here on the gold coast to support a yard.

Do you by any chance have "glass" coverage on your insurance policy? Cheap insurance in our state where tree limbs are always falling and deer love to lap dance with drivers.

ah, yeah theres not many down your way. i live in watertown, theres a couple here, and a ton in waterbury.

i do have glass coverage, but ill be getting paid for the repair from the other guys insurance co. so, im pretty sure that would be ins fraud if i got paid from his, then had mine replace it... it did cross my mind thou LOL.